Sixteenth Chapter

❝Where there is unity there is always victory.❞

 - Publilius Syrus

[ H U N T E R   W I L L I A M S ]

The last couple of weeks have been stressful as hell, but today, the stress was immeasurable. It was November fifteenth, the date when the last soccer game of the year was scheduled. The amount of practice I had to endure over the last couple of weeks was absurd, my muscles were practically screeching out of pain.

Hopefully, all that practice pays off today. It was around five and three quarters in the afternoon, I could hear the stadium buzzing with liveliness from the locker room. We were supposed to make our exit at six and I couldn't be more anxious than I was right now.

Today, Lockwood's signature soccer team would face their arch-nemesis Silver Spring Academy.

I had been so anxious for the entirety of the week, I think I started pissing people off with my behaviour. I could barely focus on my studies, could barely keep cool in conversations, despite the encouraging words everybody sent my way.

At least I felt a little reassured, knowing that my best friends would be present - including Mr Featherhead. He'd promised me that he would be present to cheer for me, just thinking about that made me smile to myself and I fidgeted on the bench, ignoring what the coach had been saying.

No amount of pep talks could prepare me for what was happening outside, the amount of pressure I felt was palpable, goosebumps present all over my body. I had to stay focused and positive, I'm here to win this, I know I can do it and I will succeed.

The fifteen minutes felt like five seconds and before I knew it was time to rush out into the fields. When we made our appearance on the field, the crowd went wild - the sound was almost deafening and I regretted not bringing earplugs. 

The stadium was filled to the brim, I assumed there were over a thousand people here, which was crazy when you thought about the fact that it was a high school soccer game. I scavenged the crowd until I spotted my friends, they were at the first row, premium seats for the event. Evelyn was practically screaming her lungs out. I saw River waving over to me alongside with the cheerleading squad.

Suddenly, an unfamiliar feeling of confidence rushed over me, I took a deep breath and focused on the game that was soon going to take place on the fake grass. The coach had set up on the benches on the side of the field and gave us a reassuring smile and a thumbs-up.

Unfortunately, I couldn't quite find Blake in the crowd, but I figured he'd be here, he promised me he would.