Chapter 5: Curtains

🐈🐈🐈

"Namjoon, you said your name was? Why don't you stay for dinner?"

The outgoing and friendly nature of Y/n's father surprised me. I had expected him to be at least somewhat similar to his daughter in terms of personality but as I see it, the difference between them is like night and day. Gray eyes, short in height. Hair clipped short, an oval shape face with a slightly rounded jaw, they couldn't immediately be recognized as family. Although over time I was able to catch hints of her in certain expressions he would make.

He chattered happily as he proceeded to prepare dinner, offering embarrassing stories about Y/n from her middle school days, such as the time when she went throughout the entire day with her skirt on inside out and didn't notice until she was home.

"Dad, I swear-" she snarled as she came through the door to halt him mid-story. This one had been about when she'd asked a teacher what being in the mile high club meant. During class.

"Good, you're here." Mr Lee responds flippantly, as if he doesn't notice the  murderous look Y/n is directing towards him. "Help your friend with cutting those onions, he seems confused but refuses to not help."

I blush as Y/n approaches obediently and eyes the thorough mess I've created. My heart rate increases tremendously and sparks shoot across my skin when she carefully takes the knife out of my hand and our fingers brush. I watch in amazement as she quickly and skillfully dices the onion in a matter of seconds.

"Done." she moves to leave much sooner than I would have liked and approaches her father with the cut vegetables.

"Thank you," he sings happily and I'm struck again by how different they are. "Now be a dear and hang the curtains back up. See if Ronald can help and that way you won't need to use a ladder."

She shuffles out of the room with a grumble so low that I'm certain her father can't hear but I manage to pick up a, "stupid Ronald."

I'm not sure why Ronald is categorized as 'stupid'. He appeared well spoken and adequately intelligent to me. Brown curly hair, Freddie Mercury-esque mustache, lean and lanky frame. Not that I'm one to talk, but he gave off of the impression of 'nerd' as opposed to stupid.

Mister Lee is sitting down in front of me at the kitchen table the moment she's gone with a smile and more vegetables that needed to be cut. I'm a bit nervous at the size of the knife he holds, but am rendered amazed again with how easily he moves and slices the food in front of him, more adept than Y/n had been a moment before.

"So, you like my daughter?" he chirps sweetly.

A friendly smile graces his face and his warm smell is similar to Y/n's, apart from the feline part of hers, but his own unique scent has more of a sweet tint to it. I feel comfortable and at ease in his company, probably more at ease than I feel in Y/n's but that's for obvious reasons. Not wanting to seem insincere I nod with a low, "yes, sir."

He hums in response, his focus on the task in front of him.

"I work as a chef, in a restaurant downtown. I'm sure you've heard of it, but that's aside from the point." his tone of voice is even and his demeanor hasn't changed one iota, but for some reason I suddenly feel on edge. "See this knife?" he smiles, the same welcoming and friendly smile he's been gracing me with since he arrived but now it sends a chill down my spine that I can't explain.

"Yes, sir." I respond anxiously.

"I'm good with knives." As if to prove the point he tosses a mushroom into  the air and flicks his wrist, his eyes remain locked on mine. When the  vegetable lands it's cut into three perfectly even slices. I gulp. "I also really love my daughter." he smiles again, but this time it's so wide that it nearly closes his gray, slanted eyes. "I just wanted you to  know."