Chapter 49: Puppies

🐈🐈🐈

IT'S A PUPPY! NAMJOON HAS A PUPPY AND IT'S A PUPPY AND SO SMALL AND IT'S PUPPY! NFH NASD;KLNCJLASDUIFHSDIKLxdifjBNDJE!!

Now listen. You need to calm down.

I don't particularly care for dogs. But. This dog is different.

The exception: IT LOOKS LIKE FLUFFY.

Since I'm not exactly knowledgeable when it comes to canines or all the different breeds, I'm informed by In-guk (a dog lover) that this is a baby Husky.

He's wrong. That is a miniature Fluffy and my inner crazy lady is currently making grabby hands and flipping out over the similarities. Outwardly, I keep my cool so no one judges me for freaking out over a dog. I don't know why it just seems important.

This isn't a hard feat.

Except that it's a really hard feat.

Heart thundering away against my rib cage, I swallow thickly as I watch the puppy observing us all with round, curious eyes, it's head adorably titling to one side when Eun-ji gasps and covers her mouth.

But not me! Because I can control my craziness over a cute puppy. I can't with cats or with Fluffy. Dogs on the other hand, it's definitely possible.

Until I feel it. This cute ass dog is, dare I say it—fluffy. Little baby hairs adorn his tiny, compact body. Those erect ears, that pattered face, the brown eyes and the extra scruff of fur around it's neck reminds me so much of my wolf that my heart actually begins to flutter.

What is wrong with me?

"What do you think?" Namjoon draws my attention with the question. I glance to him, our eyes meeting for a beat before I look back to the puppy in his arms.

Wait.

No.

Not Namjoon.

With an alarming realization, my gaze flicks back to my boyfriend's eyes. I'd know that look anywhere. Intense and watchful, deep and full of idolization. That's not how Namjoon looks at me. It's not full moon and nowhere close. So how the hell is Fluffy active and why is Namjoon allowing it? Without turning to face them, my eyes dart to the general direction of the others and I give a near imperceptible shake of my head, trying to tell him without words not to say or do anything weird.

It doesn't work.

"You had a bad day yesterday and Namjoon was so mean!! I tried to find a cat but there weren't any for sale in the area so I got her! What do you think?" he asks excitedly, holding the puppy up next to his head. "Doesn't she look just like me?!?"

I stare, slack-jawed, my mind a blank, white canvas.

What could I possibly say in this situation that could be constructed as a reasonable explanation?

Option one.

Pretend Namjoon is acting out a script. This is a really good plan, except that would never work because Fluffy has little to no self control and doesn't understand the concept of 'act natural'. Knowing him, he'd say something like, 'Mate, you know I'm not acting. By the way, can I mark you?'

Option two.

Pretend I'm having some sort of medical emergency......aaaand have Fluffy freak out completely and bite anyone who comes near me.

Option three.

Scream, 'I LOVE PENIS!' Or something equally absurd (not that it's absurd to love penis. Nothing wrong with a little dick love. Oh my god someone stop me.) to draw everyone's attention.