Chapter 28: Permission

🐈🐈🐈

When I arrive home I'm still cringing from what I had to do to save Taehyung from Namjoon's wrath. He hadn't wanted to give me the video in the first place but I'd practically begged him for it. My cats needed that cat tower, dammit.

"Oppa."

"Aaaah!" I stop in front of the door and shiver, feeling itchy all over. Since when do I act cute to get out of stuff?...alright I do that all the time. But...oppa. While the memory disgusts me, my heart does perform a little dance when I remember how thrilled Namjoon was when I said it. Maybe I'll call him that more often if it makes him that happy. But only in private.

I wrestle with the keys for a moment before finally getting it into the lock and stepping inside. As I slip off my shoes I listen for the tinkling bell of BooBoo's collar, fully expecting him to greet me at the door, as per usual.

Yet I hear nothing.

A small stab of fear hits me when the memory of the last time he didn't greet me comes back. Trying not to panic I walk quickly into the living room and call out for him.

A breath of relief rushes out of me when I see him on the couch...in stupid Ronald's lap.

What?!?

What kind of sorcery is this?!?

Both Ronald and BooBoo look up as I enter the room, the latter jumping down quickly to run my way. Stunned, I pick my favorite kitty up but stare at stupid Ronald. Since when was he not terrified of my children?

And how dare you touch my cat with your stupid hands, stupid Ronald.

"Stu-" the moniker I'd given him in my own head started to come out of my mouth before I realize what I'm doing. "Ahjussi. I thought you were afraid of them?"

One side of his mouth turns upwards in a half smile. "I went to therapy...I...wanted you to be comfortable when I was in your home. Obviously you wouldn't be if you always had to hide your pets from me."

This admission surprises me, to say the least. I'd never known he'd actually cared that much. He and I speak and aren't necessarily on bad terms, even if I hold his cat phobia against him. That's not to say I like him, either. He and dad are disgustingly lovey dovey with other and do nothing to hide it. Old people love is nasty.

I wasn't kidding when I said I was childish.

What should I say to him now? Thanks? Congratulations? Before I can think of anything to respond with he speaks up first.

"Y/n. Can we talk?"

This sentence gives me the urge to flee. Those words are heavy and speak of a big announcement or really bad news I don't want to hear or—why am I sitting down?!?

Madam Sparklepuss walks in as I settle into the couch, across from his seat in the armchair. When he sees her coming he tenses up the slightest bit, but then just as quickly relaxes. His chest moves up and down as deep breaths are taken in and released. Was he serious about the therapy? It's touching, I'll admit. As much as I hate his stupid ass for disliking cats in the first place.

Whatever he wants to say, there's still an ominous feeling to it but now that I have two cats in my lap, I'm less inclined to care about whatever else is going on in the world.

"Y/n." stupid Ronald clears his throat and it's obvious he's nervous over what he's about to say. "I'm just going to spit it out. I came to ask for your permission. Your father and I...well, he doesn't know I'm here talking to you and doesn't know anything about this. So I want to take our relationship to the next level."