Chapter 9: He Knows

🐈🐈🐈

Our gaze doesn't break. We continue to stare one another down and instinctively I know with everything in me.

That's my mate

Yet, that can't be true. That's not true. Y/n is my mate. This cat is not my mate. This cat is a cat.

But even as I think the words, they don't ring true. This feeling isn't wrong. This scent is...this scent is Y/n's.

One more time the words repeat in my head. This doesn't make sense. Y/n is human.

Right?

I can't make sense of it. Her scent could be lingering on the cat. That much could be explained. But those eyes. In those eyes are my whole world. The longer I look, the clearer I can see it. Every moment we've shared, every word exchanged, each second I've longed for and worshiped her. Like an invisible thread that connects my soul to hers, I know. Y/n is mine and that is her.

"Y/n?" The name rolls off my tongue before I can stop it, before I think of what I should say in this situation.

Green feline eyes widen and her little four legged body stands and begins to back away.

"Wait!" I attempt to stop her but she's gone without a second look, through the front yard and around the back.

Should I...knock?

I can't imagine she'd answer if I did, but what if she thinks I'm afraid of her? The thought almost makes me laugh. If only she knew about my secret. I can't leave here without saying something.

Still, what do I say in this circumstance? Oh you're a cat but that's no big deal, I'm a werewolf so it's cool? That gets me thinking. Won't she wonder how I knew it was her? There's no way I could have known if I didn't have some type of supernatural ability; it's not like I saw her change shape.

That aside, no matter what she is, or what she can morph into, she's undoubtedly and one hundred percent perfect. Now I just need to let her know that.

I wait for ten minutes before I knock on her door. Unsurprisingly there's no answer, and so I continue to knock, way beyond the point to where I can't feel my knuckles anymore. She's upset. We aren't mated yet but deep in my chest I feel it and gradually it's making my wolf more and more tense. Compounded by the depressing belief that this is going to put us back at square one, relationship-wise, I feel like I'm going crazy.

An unrestrained growl tears it's way out of my throat and I know at that point, that I need to leave, that letting my wolf out is the only way I can release this pent up tension. So that's what I do, turning and running as fast as I can on two legs, to a safer, wooded area to let him out.

🐈🐈🐈

He knows.

I'm hungry, and naked, and hiding on my own kitchen floor as he knocks on the front door and that same thought bounces around in my head on repeat. He knows. How? I don't know how he knows, all I know is that he knows.

Steve, paying no mind to the constant knocking, waltzes in and glowers at me judgmentally before flicking his tail and walking on.

I know, Steve. I'm judging myself right now. Why did I decide to go out? What a stupid decision. Because you haven't shifted in over a year. I immediately answer my own question.

I hate this.

I hate being this way. A werecat, my mom had spoken to me years and years ago the name of this curse. Even though she couldn't explain why she was the way she was (because to the best of her knowledge her parents weren't this way), she was able to tell me everything she knew about it and how to handle it.