Chapter 20: Seven Cats

🐈🐈🐈

When the last bell for the day rings I slip out of the school like a top secret agent, sneaking around corners and hiding behind trash cans and walking in a crouch to hide easier.

I look like a total crack head.

It's all pointless considering Namjoon has my number and knows where I live. But if I can annoy him, just for a little bit, I'll do it. I'm still angry and I still want to hold a grudge.

I'm not dramatic.

I'd expected he would be waiting at the car for me but he's no where around and my mood droops just the slightest bit. Whatever! Fine, Namjoon, just leave me. Go on with your strangely attractive weirdness and your heavenly hugs. I don't need you!

That last thought hits my heart painfully.

Stupid heart. What do you know anyway.

Instead of being stalked by my not-a-boyfriend-cause-we're-on-a-break, I end up at dad's restaurant with Eun-ji and In-guk. Well, not dad's restaurant because he doesn't own it. He's the main chef and runs the kitchen and as long as he works here I get free food.

"Your boyfriend was looking for you at lunch." In-guk says as we pour over our homework while we wait for our food to arrive.

"He's not my boyfriend. We're on a break," I mutter without looking away from this stupid five thousand word essay I now have to write.

Eun-ji makes a sound as though she wants to scream but In-guk, probably from knowing her for so long, foresees this and smartly traps a hand over her mouth.

When she's calmed down she smacks it away and gasps. "What do you mean?!? Why are you on a break? You were together for less than a week! What happened?"

I couldn't very well tell them what happened. The thought of that conversation makes me want to laugh at the absurdity of the truth of it, while at the same time makes me want to cry over the cluster fuck that is my love life.

I know I've asked this before but WHY IS MY LIFE LIKE THIS?

"He's too clingy." I decide on an excuse that they would believe.

"Oh." Eun-ji buys it right off. "But is that a good enough reason to break up?"

"We didn't break up. We're on a break. I just want some space."

"She's lying." In-guk proclaims and I shift my attention to glare at him.

Eun-ji slaps him upside the head. "Obviously, but you don't need to point that out."

I jerk my head in her direction. "What do you mean, obviously?"

"I just know you." Eun-ji waves me off and goes back to writing something in her notebook. "Anyway, Namjoon should be here any minute-"

"WHAT-"

"-he said he'd meet up with us after an errand." she continues, completely ignoring my interjection.

"Eun-ji what the fu-"

"Hello, Kitty!" Namjoon arrives right at this moment and shoves a bouquet of multicolored carnations in my face, actually letting them go so they fall in my lap and I have to catch them. Smooth. Forcing me to accept them.

Eun-ji and In-guk both greet him happily, as though they're all best friends now. What the hell? In-guk even reaches over to pull out the chair between us for him to sit in, citing he would never let a brother down. Whatever that means. Eun-ji giggles and asks Namjoon if he got his grandmother's cookie recipe for her.