Chapter 37: Full Moon Part 4

🐈🐈🐈

"Mate? Can I mark you?"

Abort! Abort! STOP TALKING!

She finally moves, but only to let her hand drop back to her lap. The loss of her touch is keenly felt but I push that desire down to focus on the conversation.

NO, FOCUS ON ME!

"What do you mean?" she asks and I jump up to my knees excitedly at the curiosity in her voice.

STOP IGNORING ME!

"It's how I can show everyone else you're mine!" My arms wrap around her calves and I hug them tightly, my heart beating erratically at the thought that she might be open to this. "Please let me do it, please?" I draw out the last word as I beg hard.

Mate laughs a little and shakes her head. "You have to explain. What is marking? I'm guessing another werewolf thing?"

Outside in the hall I distinctly hear four paws drawing closer. That sound and the warning bells going off are unheard when I'm this close to what I want. I need to get it out before anyone can stop me.

She's going to kill us if you tell her. The reason I gave her the book was because it describes it better. Stop-

"Ahuh." I nod happily. "All I have to do is bite you once right there!" I point at our spot on her neck where it smells just right. "That's the best place ever and it's because that's where I need to bite-"

"WHAT?" I flinch when Mate yells and shrink back down to sit on my butt. "YOU WANNA DO WHAT TO ME?"

"I..." My knees shuffle uncomfortably on the floor and I look down at them. "Want to mark you?"

"Mark me?" A huff of air is pushed out of her mouth. "Mark me? You want to brand me like cattle? I'm a person, Namjoon! You don't get to own me."

The way she called me Namjoon hurts but I can't fixate on that right now. My head shoots up to meet her angry gaze and shakes back and forth frantically. "No, no, Mate! It's not like that."

Her arms cross and the glare she directs at me makes my whole body cower. Hoseok's wolf was scary? Not compared to my mate. She's the scariest.

"Then explain it."

"It's..." What is it like? What's the difference between branding cattle and marking my mate? They brand cattle to show who the animal belongs too. I mark my mate to...show who she belongs to. No, that's not right.

Namjoon, a little help here.

Namjoon?

Namjoon?

NAMJOON?

Nope.

Please?

Go away.

Oh no. What do I do? Mate is mad and scary and Hoseok's wolf is sitting right outside the door, ready to pounce on me. I'm stuck between a rock and hard place with no wiggle room. Mate's anger is real and radiating off of her in waves and adds something decidedly spicy to her scent. It makes my nose itch and I don't like it.

"I'm...kidding?"

She doesn't buy the excuse and I didn't expect her to, especially when it doesn't sound believable coming out of my own mouth.

"I'm sorry," I decided on hanging my head and begging for forgiveness instead, though I can't understand why she won't let me mark her. The last thing I expected was for it to make her feel like cattle.  "I didn't mean to make you mad...marking doesn't mean I'm branding you, there's a lot more to it but Namjoon is mad at me too and won't explain-"