Chapter 8: That's My Mate

🐈🐈🐈

Monday morning I rush into school, ten minutes later than usual because Lucifer decided to sleep on my phone, effectively blocking out the sound of my morning alarm. Thank god that Steve is such a little shit that he decided to slap me until I woke up, for no apparent reason at all. More annoyed than usual I rush straight past a waving, purple-haired Namjoon to-

Wait.

I halt in my struggle and turn back to Namjoon, who now sports a shock of bright, purple hair. His eyes light up when I turn back to stare at him. He looks...cute.

"Good morning," he greets with pink cheeks.

Pink cheeks. Purple hair. Those dimples. He's too cute. My jaw drops at his new appearance. I can't manage. Is he trying to kill me? I think he's trying to kill me.

For once I'm grateful for the bell as it shrieks overhead.

The 'good morning' I had managed to utter out was drowned by the sound, but strangely he still seems to hear it and his grin grows. I think I'm gonna die.

Without a another thought I scramble away to class. It's the only way to save myself. Namjoon is clearly trying to kill me. Why do I have to have a weakness for cute things? Is this an answer to my unresolved feelings? Settling down into my desk, I mull the thought over carefully. Namjoon is cute. I think he's cute. Also, BooBoo is cute. I feel warm and happy when I think of my old orange kitty, fast asleep and drugged up on pain meds at home. When I think of Namjoon...I just think he's cute. Inwardly I groan.

As if I haven't been tortured enough already, this morning our teacher is out and our less-than-adequate substitute teacher wants us to group up in pairs to study. Study what? I don't know, I wasn't listening. The reason I'm feeling tortured is because I'm paired with two extremely cute boys that I know I've seen in Namjoon's group of friends before.

Seriously. Why do 90 percent of the boys in this school look good enough to be kpop idols?

Once we're all settled next to each other's desks I don't acknowledge them and they pay me even less mind. In fact, they seem to be purposefully avoiding making any sort of physical or verbal contact with me. The one with dyed blond hair shoots me a look at one point and then averts his gaze quickly, as though expecting me to smack him.

...ok.

Maybe Eun-ji was right. My exterior is tough. Perhaps too tough. But this type of avoidance...It's not what I'm accustomed to. Did Namjoon tell them I'm mean? I frown at the thought even if I know he wouldn't be wrong if he had said that. These two—I glance at them stealthily—they're very tense.

This is weird.

I thought it couldn't get stranger but then the bell rang and the two boys jumped up and away from me, way too quickly for me not to get suspicious.

Why is everyone in this school weird?

When lunchtime rolls around I'm in my usual spot with a book but not really paying attention to the story. My eyes continuously shoot to the door and when I see a purple head coming my way my heart jumps and my palms start to sweat. My left ear itches at the sound of Eun-ji and In-guk, once again on speaking terms but only to constantly bicker and pick at each other. Trying not to be too obvious about it, I scoot more to the right for Namjoon to settle in between us and he does just that, greeting me warmly and handing over a pack of Jolly Ranchers.

This is...nice. He settles in with his lunch and we sit and listen to the petty argument of my friends over tree trimmers of all things. Who the hell even knows how they landed on that subject.