Chapter 33: Road Trip

*Trimethylaminuria: a condition that causes an unpleasant, fishy smell
*Thyroid: The gland that controls your metabolism
*20 feet tall= 6 meters

🐈🐈🐈

Well that was a weird dream.

‪Monday morning I roll out of bed and begin my daily ritual of reversing the night's attempt at making me look like I just crawled out of Shrek's swamp.‬

While brushing my teeth I struggle to remember the details of the absurdity of that dream.

It started off normal enough. Having lunch in the school courtyard and chatting with my friends and Namjoon. With the exception being that Eun-ji was twenty feet tall, and a nude Taehyung was busy sprinting through the halls and no one found it abnormal.

Then it morphed into me having supper again at Namjoon's house but suddenly Namjoon and all the others turned into puppies.

Initially my first thought was, "damn how is Namjoon gonna help me study for that physics exam now if he can't even talk?"

Then I realized that no one was there to take care of the puppies so I would have to. Dad was really angry because I brought them all home with me. My cats were even more upset, and eventually a turf war took place, dogs against cats, my babies versus my friends. It was a nightmare.

After that the dream turned into a blur, but I distinctly remember that the puppies began to multiply and I kept losing them and I was starting to wonder if my cats were killing them off.

It was all very traumatizing.

I want to tell Namjoon about it, but I probably won't since he high key judged me for the last dream I had about him. I mean, it's not like I wanted to dream that he was cheating on me with Jin and their illegitimate love child was none other than Jungkook.

Whatever Namjoon! Go on with your judgmental attitude. I'll keep my dreams to myself.

While my bagel is warming in the toaster I go ahead and feed BooBoo and give him another round of medicine. He's eaten well (almost too well) all weekend and now seems to have no qualms about stuffing himself all over again. Maybe the veterinarian or the scales were wrong? Or more hopefully, the rapid weight loss was something attributed to the pain medicine, as Namjoon had suggested.

What I know for sure is that every time I see him eat, it soothes down that ever present worry worm trying to burrow into my heart. Most probably he's still got some time left.

"Y/nbear," dad's voice is solemn from where he stands over the sink, washing dishes. The tone instantly puts me on edge, and the unsettled feeling increases when the sky outside becomes clouded over by blankets of gray. That's got to be a bad omen.

"Yeah?"

His eyes meet mine before a smile brightens his face. "Thank you."

For...?

Not giving me time to think further he dries his hands on a dish towel and makes the short distance to hug me tightly. "But, are you sure?"

Oh. Did Ronald ask him already? He sure didn't waste any time. That stupid bastard. I return the hug, dad being so short I'm able to rest my chin on his shoulder comfortably. "Of course, dad. If you're happy, then I'm happy."

His embrace tightens briefly before letting me go. He places a tender kiss to my forehead then taking a step back, squishes my cheeks together.

"My baby is all grown up now," he ignores my whine of protest and squeezes harder. "I really hate it. But you're so mature, and I'm very proud of you."