New Year Nightmare

At the Kaufman residence

Xander stayed with the Kaufman's for the last couple nights since his parents were called in for work (doctor and nurse).
It was New Year's Eve and the family were prepping for the lights show later into the night.  Bob and Angela were in the garage.

Angela: Honey? Where did you place the fireworks?

Bob: look up, it should be on the second shelf!

Angela: Ah! How'd I miss that??

Bob: it's probably because you aren't wearing you glasses you blind bat

Angela once she got the fireworks down laughed at Bob's comment and playfully slap his arm.
Then feint sounds of sirens coming closer came and both noticed a police cruiser driving towards their home.
Once the officers parked up and got out of the car, they proceeded to walk to Angela and Bob with somber faces and asked, "Is young Xander with you?"

Angela: Yes he is, why the question officer Barton?

Officer Barton: Something happened this morning and it's not good

Bob: What's going on? What do you mean something happened? And what does it have to do with Xander??

Angela recognizing the somber face of the officer and the questions and answers he gave realized the worst and was on the verge of crying

Angela: Oh no, Oh no, somethings happened to  Jess and Rich?

Officer Barton: *sigh* I'm sorry, I'm afraid so Miss...can we have this chat with Xander? I believe he should know

Angela/Bob: yes/sure

*Time skip* everyone is in the livingroon

Officer Barton tells Xander and the Kaufman family that Jess and Rich were involved in a fatal car crash due to a drunk driver and sadly neither Xander's parents or the driver survived.

Xander: Hello officer, what brings you here?

Lexi: Yeah, How are you?

Officer Barton: Hello little ones. *coughs* I came here to deliver some bad news to you Xander.

Xander: Umm why me?

Barton: It's because of your parents kid, Im sorry.

Xander: What? What happened to my parents?
He slowly starts to panic because of the somber mood the officer was giving him. Lexi also noticing it starts to react the same way as well.

Barton: I'm sorry but there's been an accident earlier this morning and your parents didn't make it son.

Xander:...

Lexi started to tear up and looked at her parents to see if there's any sign that the officer was telling a lie. When she couldnt, she started crying.

The officer knowing that the family needed to grieve decided to let himself out and to givr them space.

Bob was comforting Angela because she had just lost her childhood best friends. While Lexi was crying because she lost her auntie and uncle who she viewed as her second parents.
Xander on the other hand had tears coming out of his eyes, but a blank and distant face, a face of a kid that was broken.
He just lost his everything, he was an only child , he loved his parents so dearly and he thought that they'll be there for him until they're too old.

Lexi was the first to notice that Xander wasn't talking or visibly crying hard.  She turns her attention to him with an apologetic face.

Lexi: Xandiee? *sniff* Are, are you ok?

Xander turns and faces her finally after a minute or so and one look into her beautiful blue eyes did it for him.  He finally broke down and hugged his best friend like his life depended on it.

Lexi wanting to comfort her best friend hugged and cried with him until he stopped.
They stayed in each others company for most of the day and only breaking apart for bathroom breaks and dinner.

*Time skip to a week later*

After the funeral processions ended, Xander's grandparents from his mom's side announced that they are his legal guardians now and are planning to move him with them to Detroit to start fresh and to help him deal with the pain.

Of course this was met with heavy refusal from the two children that grew close to one another, but the latter knowing that he had no control over it convinced the other that it'll be ok.

It was the next day, it was the last day for Xander in Columbus because that night he would fly with his grandparents to Detroit to start fresh.
Throughout the whole day both Lexi and Xander were together trying to spend as much time they had left with one another.
Then came the dreaded time where the Kaufmans dropped the remaining Tamayo family at Columbus Airport.

Lexi: I don't want you to leave *sniff*
Leaning her head on Xander's arm.

Looking at Lexi, Xander said: I don't want to leave either, but I have no choice.

Lexi: THERES ALWAYS A CHOICE!!!!
Proceeds to smack his chest tearfully

Xander: Lexi! Lexi! Stop! We'll see each other once again.

Lexi: I don't care! I don't want to lose my best friend! *Sniff*

Xander looks Lexi dead in the eyes and says, "Don't worry, we will meet again in the future and I will never forget you."

Lexi: Is that a pinky promise?

Xander: yes, I, Xander pea brain Tamayo pinky promise.
The slight jab at himself brightened Lexi's mood and conversely made the adts chuckle.
The he proceeded to give her a hug and she gladly hugged back. The pair stayed like that for a while and the adults not wanting to separate them because they knew how close they were.
After what had seed to be an hour for the kids, which was ok not 5 minutes. Xander's grandparents said that it's getting close to boarding time. It meant that it's time to say their goodbyes to one another.

Angela: Here Xander, the help your promise to never forget Lexi and don't worry Lexi, I have a copy for you too.

Lexi: Thanls mom!

Angela handed him a Polaroid copy of their mistletoe incident.

Xander: *tearfully* Thank you! That was one of the best days of my life. I won't lose it!

And he gives them one last hug before he entered the airport with his grandparents.
The last thing he saw before going into the airport to start new was Lexi's crying figure waving goodbye.

A/N: I know it's sort of all over the place, but, I said I'm new to this thing. Lol