eight

The next morning, I find myself sitting in the hospital room of Jals two brothers and their friend. I sit beside Michelle, as Jal's brothers speak what sounds like nonsense.

"We caught blood claat scum easy, man. Easy," Jal's brother Ace says to her, posted up in the hospital bed with a gauze wrapped around his head.

"We go to jack em up, real chief em up," their white friend Donny says.

"And then that's when they go Hong Kong Phooey."

Last night after the gang and I left the party, Jal and Sid had a little mishap with the Mad Twatter, the psycho drug dealer who Sid owed money too. He stole their credit cards and smashed Jal's clarinet, destroying it. Jal's brothers and Danny tried to stop it, but ended getting beat up by the Twatters henchmen in the process, leaving them hospital bound.

"They waste us," Danny grunts in pain.

"Waste us, man," Lynton agrees. "With sticks!"

"I'm sorry," Jal tells them. "I didn't mean you to do that."

"Ah, it's nothing, sis," Ace assures her, though his neck brace says otherwise. "Nothing at all. We got a couple of licks on em still."

"Thank you," she tells them gratefully. "Is there anything I can do."

The three boys look back and forth between eachother, and sneak glances at Michelle and I, who were only there as moral support for Jal.

"I'd... like lips from the fit blonde," Ace tells her. "Michelle too if Tony aint mind."

"Huh?" Michelle and I speak at the same time.

"He wants a kiss from you both," Jal tells us with an eye roll.

Michelles all for it, jumping up from her seat and planting a wet kiss on Ace's lips. It's met by a chorus of complaints by the other two boys.

"Hey... me too!" Lynton cries.

"Yeah, same here!" Says Danny.

"Come on sweet cheeks," Ace jokes at me. "I'm in pain."

With a playful smile, I give each of the boys a quick peck on the lips. Their heart monitors speed up, and as I sit back down in my chair, the room falls silent for once as the horny boys bask in euphoria.

~~~

When I get back home, Minnie's cleaning dishes in the kitchen sink.

"You missed breakfast," she tells me, rinsing a dirty plate under hot water. "But I saved you some eggs in case you're hungry."

"It's all good, Min's. I ate some delicious hospital food,"I say sarcastically I take a sip from her glass of orange juice sitting on the counter. "Where's mum?"

"She's still not home."

"Still? She told me last night she'd be here with you."

"I don't care, I can take care of myself."

Minerva McGuinness: nine years old but going on thirty.

I grab a dishrag and start drying the dishes that she had washed to pristine cleanness. I put the plates back in the cabinets and the spoons back in the drawers. A few minutes later, my mum in a black little dress, walks through the front door.

"Good morning girls," she greets us in a sing-songy voice. "Did you have fun last night Frey?"

"Yeah mum," I mutter. "Did you? It must've been fun, considering you left your 9 year old daughter home alone all night while you were out partying with some random sleazy man."

"Oh Freya, don't get your pretty little knickers in a twist. Minerva is a strong, independent, woman who can care for herself."

She places a lipstick stained kiss on both Mini and I's cheek, which we are both quick to wipe off.

"And he was not sleazy," she whispers to me with a playful smile on her lips, the same exact one I always wear on mine. "He was actually a doctor."

I roll my eyes and curse a smile. I can never stay mad at her for long.

"Oh, and I contacted Roundview," she calls to me, now at the kitchen table, flipping through the mail that Mini must've placed there. "They said your marks are spectacular, and if you're ready, they'd love to have you at their college."

In celebration, I bump my hip against Mini's, who nearly falls off her step stool. 

"But," she begins.

Always a but.

"They do require for you to meet up with the school counselor every week, just to make sure everything is going smoothly."

"Anything's better than my last school," I tell her, putting the last of the dishes away. "I'm just ready to get away from all those people."

My mom glances at me through the corner of her eye. "Not running away from our problems now, are we?"

"Nope," I reassure. "Just delaying them for a little while."