thirty nine

My date with Liam was definitely going a lot better than I had expected. He was really good at talking, so thankfully I didn't have to do much of it. I was a lot better of a listener anyway. As we drove to the pub, he talked a lot about his friends, football, and the university he attended. I found myself asking questions, not pretending, but truly curious to hear all about him.

"Okay, I'm doing all the talking," he realizes after a little while, having just finished a story about a party him and his mates had attended at university last week. "It's your turn now. What's going on in your world?"

"Nothing much, honestly," I confess. "College is pretty boring. My friends are cool, though. Some nearly as crazy as yours."

He laughed. "Then you must have your hands full."

As he drove, one of his hands held the wheel, while the other rested on the console between us. I thought about grabbing his hand. It was positioned where I could easily do so. His hand was large, with cracked knuckles and rough looking skin, and two black rings adorned his fingers. His hands were very nice, very manly. I could feel myself beginning to blush. Everything about this boy somehow managed to give me butterfly's, even something as simple as his hands.

"Those guys you were playing with the other day," I begin, wanting to get the attention off of me. "They all go to your university?"

"Some of them play on the university's football team with me," he shrugs. "But most of them were just some of our mates that we went to college with."

"Cool," I tell him.

When we reach the pub, he parallel parks near the curb between two other cars. I couldn't parallel park to save my life, so it was interesting to watch him do it so flawlessly. He had his arm stretched out with his hand on the side of my seat, so close that if I turned my head my lips would have grazed his thumb, and I watch in awe as he stares over his shoulder to maneuver his way into the spot. He looked really hot parallel parking...

Damnit, Freya. Stop!

We step out of his car into the cool air. The pub was one I hadn't gone to before, as it was closer to the university's campus, but it definitely was more alive than the pubs I'd usually go to to grab a pint. Through the windows, I could see people crowded inside.

"You come here a lot?" I ask him more questions, seeming to be the only thing I was capable of.

"Yeah, I do," he tells me as he opens the door for me to step inside. "They normally have local bands playing here once a week, so it's a cool place to just hang out at."

Inside, people chatted and drank amongst each other. The pub was quite big, big enough to fit a wooden stage on one side of the room, opposite the bar, with enough stage for people to stand around and for sure dance to whatever band was playing. Speaking of the band, they were already on stage, not playing, just getting everything set up.

"Can I get you a drink?" Liam asks me as I follow him to the bar, maneuvering our way through people.

"Yeah. Whatever you're having is fine for me," I tell him.

I stand near the edge of the bar as Liam chases after the bartender, whose extremely busy as the bar is packed. I grab my phone as I wait for him to return, seeing that Jal's already texted me.

Jal Frazer: How's the date going?

Freya McGuinness: Good. He's very sweet. And very gorgeous.

"OMG," a voice says beside me. "Freya? Funny seeing you here."

I don't even have to look to know who that unfortunate voice belongs to. But when I raise my head to meet the posh bitches gaze, she's standing in front me. She looks completely out of her element, her hair pinned back in a wild mess with a big pink bow, dark makeup under her eyes with a rocker-type outfit on. Definitely like nothing I had witnessed before.