twenty four

I hadn't spoken to Tony in a few days, and it was safe to say I was a bit anxious. It wasn't like him to keep quiet, as he always had something to say about everything. I even found myself waiting for him to text me, to taunt me and tease me like he'd always do, but those messages never came.

So when I was showering and heard my phone ring, I shut the water off and hopped out of the tub, quickly wrapping a towel around my body. I dried my hands on the hand towel before grabbing the phone, my eyes scanning over the caller i.d. It wasn't Tony, but Michelle.

"Hello?" I answered.

She's sobbing, trying to tell me something but unable to form any words.

"What?" I question, shutting the toilet seat and sitting on the closed lid. "I cant understand you, Chelle."

"Josh," she cried out. "He sent me pictures of Abigail. She's... she's got her tits and vag out for him."

"What?" I exclaim. "Are you serious?"

"Yes! Why... why would he do that?" She sobbed again.

"I um- I don't know. 'Chelle, are you sure it was him? Not one of his friends joking with you?"

"It came from his phone... from his phone, Freya. He had pictures of his sister fucking naked on his phone. And even if it was a joke, what kind of sick fucking joke is that?"

She's crying hard again, but this time I can hear her words.

"Oh god. Yet he warned me," she cries. "He's fucking crazy. He told me he's fucking crazy... I feel so weird."

"Babes..." I mutter, not knowing what to say. "You'll be okay. Do you want to meet somewhere?"

Michelle tells me to meet her and Jal at a pub a block down from her house. I dress quickly, and by the time I got there, she was on her second pint. Jal sat next to her at the bar, stroking Michelle's hair as she damned tears from her eyes.

"Chelle," I call to the girl. "I'm so sorry."

She gives me a sad smile, pursing her glossy lips. I sit on the opposite side of her, rubbing my hand soothingly over her back as she lets out a groan.

"I'm assuming you all want to see the pictures?" She questions. Jal and I share a look and a shrug.

"I mean..." I begin, but Michelle cuts me off with an eye roll and hands her phone to me. I flip it open and the picture's the first thing on the screen. My eyes go wide. I pass it to Jal.

"Jesus," Jal exclaims. "I don't know it was possible to get your legs in that position."

Michelle gives her a displeased glare.

"He warned me," she tells us, taking a swig of beer. "He told me his family was screwy. Told me he was, too."

I nod, my eyes wide as the picture flashes through my head.

"Well, that is pretty screwy... That's a whole other level of screwy."

The bartender places a pint in front of me. I take a swig.

"Has he tried to call you?" I question.

She scoffs. "Only about a thousand times-"

"Don't," Jal warns her.

"Don't worry," Michelle assures her best friend. "I won't."

***

Though Michelle was the one that needed to be drunk the most, I found myself in that position, thanks to not knowing my limits and drinking on an empty stomach. I was cut off, claimed the bartender, but that didn't stop me from sneaking sips of Jal's beer when no one was looking.

"You're such a mess, Freya," Michelle drunkenly laughs as I lean against her on my stool. She pushes my side, sending me rocking over to Jal, who does the same thing. The two girls giggle as they rock me back and fourth, and after a while, all the swaying really starts getting to me. I feel a warm pit in my stomach, followed by a gurgle, and bile rising in my throat.

"I'm going to be sick," I frown, placing a hand over my mouth, trying to reject the vomit. Jal's eyes go wide and she grabs me by the bicep, pulling me from my chair and dragging me to the restroom. I don't make it to the toilets, but I mentally give myself a pat on the back for at least making it to the trash bin next to the sink. Jal holds back my hair and pinches her nose as I vomit into the bin.

"That's it," she tells me. "Get it all out."

I puke for a good 5 minutes, before I pop my head up, wiping the vomit on my lips with the back of my hand.

"I'm ready," I tell her, seeing double. "Lets go."

I turn to leave but Jal makes me wash my hands. I do, pumping soap onto my hand from the dispenser. I laugh as it bubbles in my palm. I do it again. Then again. And again. I finally have a soap mountain on my hand and I clap them together. Foamy soap flies around the bathroom. It seems I've created a bit of a mess.

"Freya, don't be stupid," Jal groans. "Rinse it off."

I turn the faucet on, leaving soap every where I touch.

"Come on drunky," Jal calls me, leading me out of the bathroom. She's got her arm around my waist and I've got mine around her shoulders. We walk back to Michelle, only to find her preoccupied by a very familiar blue eyed boy.

"What are you doing here, Tone?" Michelle asks. Jal stops in her tracks, causing me to jolt forward and she has to pull me back to keep me from falling. We watch Michelle and Tony, listening in on their conversation, though they don't know it.

"I came to get you back, obviously," he says it so simply, not realizing the heart he's breaking in the process. I hold my breath, waiting for her response.

Michelle doesnt say anything. She tries to hold her ground, crossing her arms over her chest with a tough look on her face, but her barrier weakens as Tony inches closer and closer to her and I want to vomit again.

"And I came, because as it turns out, I love you."

Boom, there it goes. My fucking heart. Michelle stares at him, not saying a word, but I don't feel like standing around waiting to see what happens next. So I release myself from Jal's embrace, stumbling over to them. Tony's the first to see me, and he meets my gaze with a mischievous glint in his eye and a devious smirk on his lips. I want to smack it off.

I slip past them, grabbing my purse that sat on the bar and throwing it over my shoulder. I don't give him another look.

I know that he knows I heard everything. How I heard him asking for Michelle back. And that's exactly what he had planned to happen, and because of that I've never felt more stupid in my life. I always was one to go with what my brain tells me, and the one time I listen to my heart, it fucking screws me over. I shouldn't have kissed Tony Stonem, and I sure as hell should have never let myself catch feelings for him. It was all part of his little games he played with people, and I was foolish to think it was anything more than that. He used me as I pawn in his fucking game and I should have know.

And this is exactly what he wants, my mind screams at me. To drive me away, too see me break. All for the price of his own own entertainment. But I refused to put on a show for him. So I keep my composure, walking myself out the door, and letting myself cry out in agony as it clicks shut behind me.