twenty

The next day at college, Maxxie draws a flower on my wrist with expo marker as we wait for class to start. A book drops on the desk beside me, and Chris takes his seat, sporting a gnarly hickey on his neck.

"Jesus," Maxxie exclaims. "A psychology teacher can do that?"

"Yes, she can," Chris says with a cheeky grin. "But we gotta keep it under wraps, yeah?"

"Mm, yeah," Maxxie and I both agree. Not like anyone would believe that Chris and Angie were hooking up, anyway.

Tony walks through the door, his bruises from yesterday even more prominent. Chris laughs at the boys misfortune.

"Ho-ho. She got you good, Tone."

"That was Michelle," he says before pointing to his black eye. "This was Sid."

As if one cue, Michelle walks through the door, and Tony greets her like nothing had happened.

"Hey Nips," he calls.

She glares at him before slamming her folder on our table, taking a seat near Maxxie. She glares at him too, causing him to scoot closer to me.

"People have got issues," Tony mutters, causing me to roll my eyes. "If anyone else wants to take a pop at me, then please, go for it now."

The girl sat beside him slaps him across the face.

Sid, so quiet I barely noticed, takes a seat next to Chris.

"Sidney," I question. "Are you gonna tell us what's going on with you and Tony?"

"Yeah," Chris agrees. "It's like a fucking episode of The OC in here."

Sid hangs his head before muttering, "It's nothing. Just leave it, okay?"

We stop bugging him about it, just for now. I could probably get Tony to tell me about it if I pried hard enough.

Angie walks in, ever so cautiously, adjusting the ugly satin scarf around her neck that was very not her style. No one probably thought anything of it, except for us of course, because we knew what she was hiding behind it.

"Right... everyone," she begins. "Um..."

"You okay, Angie?" Jal questions from the back.

"Um... yeah," our teacher says, obviously not okay.

"Why are you wearing that scarf thing?" Anwar asks, obviously just teasing her at this point.

"It's a bit drafty today," she explains.

"It doesn't suit you, Ange," Anwar tells her.

Angie tightens it.

"Anyway, who's presenting?"

"It's me," Tony calls, raising his hand.

"Okay, get on with it," Angie tells him.

Tony stands to his feet, announcing the title of his paper, "The Role of Sex in Power Relationships."

Angies eyes go wide. Chris tries to hold back a smile.

"I asked you to write that?"

"Yeah," Tony answers.

Angies silent for a moment, so Tony takes that as his cue to continue.

"Power is the most single important thing in the universe. Money and looks mean nothing except for the power they give us. The second most important thing is sex. So sex plus power equals fun-"

Michelle stands quickly from her chair, sending it scraping across the floor, before storming out of the room. Everyone's silent, except for Angie, who's rather quick to call Tony out on his shit.