twenty seven

"Hi, this is Effy's phone. She's cruising at 35,000 feet... and theres definitely turbulence ahead."

Sid and I listen to Effy Stonems answering machine, being read sarcastically by an unknown boy, as we follow behind Tony down the streets of Bristol.

"Sounds a bit weird Tony," Sid says about the message, and I nod in agreement.

"It's fine," Tony says, sounding rather confident, considering he had no bloody idea where his younger sister may be. "We'll nick your dad's car, drive around a bit, spot her, take her home, go for a pint, then maybe I'll get a shag in with Freya-"

"Woah," I cut him off, grabbing him by the sleeve of his shirt and pulling him to face me. "Did you just bring me along on this rescue mission to fuck with my feelings more than you already have?"

"Of course not," he says, almost sounding sincere. But of course, because of who he is, he has to fuck it all up. "I brought you along because out of all the others in that room, your ass is the fittest to look at."

"You fucking wanker-"

"Cassie!" Sid calls in disbelief, causing my head to snap in his direction and forgetting the hurtful things I was prepared to say to Tony. Sid points to a lamp post across the street, a goofy smile on his face as he looks at me.

"It's Cassie..." He trails off once he looks back to where "Cassie" was, seeing what I see, which is no one.

"She was there, I swear!" He exclaims.

"Cas is still at the clinic, Sid," I tell the boy, giving him a sympathetic pat on the shoulder. Tony is not as sympathetic as me, snickering at Sid's hallucinations.

"So where's she gone then?" Tony inquires, teasing the boy. "Flown off on her broomstick?"

"No, she was there, I swear," Sid says in anguish.

"Maybe she's haunting you cos she tried to kill herself because of you," Tony declares, poking Sid in the chest, rocking him back a bit before storming away. Sid stares at the floor, deep in thought of what Tony had just said.

"He's a wanker, Sid. Don't listen to him," I say, referring to the remark he had made about Sid being involved in Cassie's attempt, no matter how true it may be.

His eyebrows crease.

"Hold on, you wanna nick my dads car?" He calls after Tony, completely ignoring me as he storms after Tony, leaving me dumbfounded. I hate boys sometimes.

***

Despite Sid's complaints, Tony did indeed steal Sid's dads car. And as we drive around the streets of Bristol, I sit in the backseat, still listening to Sid's complaints.

"I just don't understand why we had to nick my dads car," Sid huffs beside Tony.

"Because Sid," Tony begins behind the steering wheel. "My dad has central locking, a sophisticated alarm system, and probably thinks a trip to prison would do me good. Where as your dad has a 20 year-old car, Neighbourhood Watch, and won't prosecute."

"Yeah... and I don't have a dad to steal a car from," I chime in. I see Tony smirk at my comment through the rear view mirror, and his blue eyes catch mine staring at him. I'm quick to avert my gaze, slumping down in my seat and looking out the window, pretending to be minding my own business.

I still didn't understand why Tony dragged me along. All he needed was a car, and he knew he'd be able to get that from Sid. So why was I here? Maybe because he knew I'd help him, because I know what it's like to have a little sister that you would do anything for, that you would protect with your life. Hell, if I was the one looking for Mini, I'd get on my hands and knees begging Tony to help me find her if he was my last option.