24

We had only a week left before we were supposed to fly out to North America for our tour. All of the members and I were so excited. This is all I had been waiting for. We were in the practice room with our choreographer just going over some last moment things. We had nearly finished and I had promised Areum out for a date. We hadn't gone out for a date since before Areum's accident. After we we're all just resting up, we got ready to go back to the dorm.

I got into the dorm and quickly had a shower. I slipped on some casual clothes and put on a cap. I text Areum that I was about to leave and she replied back saying she's nearly there.

As I was walking down to the restaurant, I admired the night sky lit with the street lamps. Wires from electricity poles connecting to each and every home. However, the admiration stopped...

I saw Areum sitting with our choreographer in a cafe. Wait.. she was supposed to be on a date with me. I carefully observed and saw that she had her hands in his as he was slowly caressing her hand. Areum had her head dropped down and then hugged him. He responded back as he hugged her tightly.

No way. I didn't know how to feel. Is she betraying me? Am I not good enough? Am I supposed to go on this date now? No. I can't go now. She clearly didn't care for me.

I text her saying that I was too tired and we'll go out another day as I sped off back to the dorms. As I was about to reach back, I got a text.

Areum ❤️: okay mark, rest well and I'll see you tomorrow xx goodnight

I had no mood to reply back so I left it on read. As soon as I entered the dorm, I was hit with a wave of questions from the boys asking why I'm back so quick.

"Yo mark, eat a taco. I made some and they taste real good." Johnny exclaimed.

"No I'll pass hyung." I responded.

Without saying anything else, I paced to my room and locked the door. I powered my phone off and just got into bed hoping for some good sleep.

Hours and hours passed off me just tossing and turning. Areum couldn't be like this. Yet I seen it with my own eyes. Why did she set a date with me if she wanted to meet choreographer nim? Why did I think my life was getting better when it just can't be. Was Areum never in love with me?

Drowning in all my piled thoughts, I managed to go to sleep.

AREUM POV

I was walking to the restaurant where me and Mark were going to meet up. All of a sudden, a hand tapped my shoulder. As loud as I could, I shrieked. Thinking it was Mark, I turn around to hit him on his arm until I see it's NCT's choreographer, my brother's friend.

"Hey oppa... I just wasn't expecting to see you."

"Oh sorry Areum, I wouldn't have done this but can we talk?"

"Ermm sure but I have to leave in a bit."

"It won't take long." He said.

We sat in the nearest cafe we saw as he sat down next to me.

"What was it that you wanted to say oppa?" I asked.

"I have a friend who works at the boat ports and he jut wanted me to tell you that your grand father had gotten really ill on his trip and passed away."

My breath hitched and I broke down. I just wasn't expecting it. I had this hope inside of me that I would meet him again.

"Why?" I sobbed "Grandpa why did you leave me? I'm all alone now."

Oppa held my hand and took him into an embrace and he hugged me back. Once I had calmed down, he still held my hand to keep me calm. I hugged him once more and thanked him that he told me.

"Your grandpa's body will be here in Seoul by tomorrow so you can pay your respects the day after tomorrow."

"Thanks oppa." I gulped "I'm heading home now. I just need some time."

As I was walking home solemnly, I got a text from Mark. He couldn't meet up with me and I'm thankful. I couldn't show him this state of mine, I'd fall apart in front of him even more.

I went back home and just crawled into bed and the night continued with me just crying.