45

I didn't even realise that I had slept next to Areum still holding her hand, until the machine next to her bed started beeping. I immediately shot up and slammed open the door grabbing any nurse that I found.

"Help! Something's not right. The machines have started to beep!" I panicked.

More doctors and nurses came and they told me to stay outside the room. I just slid down the wall and just prayed. Prayed for her to be alright.

Not long after, a doctor came out of her room with his head hanging low. I slowly got up and telling from the mood, something was not right.

"Doctor.."

"Sorry but Miss Areum has gone into a coma. As you might know, it's never certain as to when they can wake up. It might be in days or at worse even years. I'm ever so sorry to be having to give you this news."

I tried to take in every piece of information I was just told but I couldn't.

"Due to her condition, will have to be shifting her to a hospital in Mokpo as they have the facilities and time there. Again, as I said I'm ever so sorry for this. If you could come and just sign some papers with us in a bit so we can transfer her as soon as possible."

I nodded. I just couldn't speak. Areum... she's basically a living dead. Her life has been ruined. My life has been ruined. And now she has to go so far away from me. With my job, I can't even stay with her all the time.

Jaehyun hyung approached me and i instantly latched onto him. I cried and cried. I just felt so helpless. Hyung hugged me tighter and patted me on the back.

"Don't worry Mark, she's a strong one. She'll get better. You just need to believe in her and the fact that she will wake up."

I nodded but couldn't stop crying.

"B-but she's so.. young" I barely spoke out as I wailed.

"Shhh Mark, just have some hope. This is going to be one tough time but if you can overcome it, you'll come out of this stronger."

"I don't think I can hyung. I-I'm barely hanging on. I don't have the courage or strength."

After a bit, I went to the ward reception and signed the paper for Areum to be shifted to the hospital in Mokpo. It's far away but the doctors claimed is the best place got her to go to. Yugyeom hyung had left a while ago to get the results for the fingerprints so it was Jaehyun hyung and I. They were getting Areum's vitals steady just before they left in the ambulance van. I couldn't even go with her today as I needed to find out who did this to her.

I walked up to Areum a She was in the bed. It truly looked like she was peacefully sleeping and I couldn't help but smile. Trying to ease my own pain, that's what I told myself; that she's sleeping. Suddenly something caught my attention. Even on her bruised skin that red at some places, her moon necklace still shone bright. It reminded me back to the night I gave it to her. 

"You can keep wearing that. Just remember that I'm always with you, in your heart." I spoke to her. I was told that people in coma can still listen to things around them.

"I love you Areum. Please get better. For yourself, for me."  I held her hands in my hands as I won't be able to meet her for a few days.

"Ok Mr Lee, we are ready to go and take her to Mokpo. You'll receive a phone call once she arrives there."

"Thank you doctor." I bowed.

I looked back down at Areum and kissed her hands before I let them take her. I watched as they took her down to the ambulance van before they drove away.

"Jaehyun hyung, you can go back to the dorms, I just need to do some stuff like meeting the police."

"Are you sure? I can come with you if you want." Hyung asked.

"No no, go back and rest, we've had a long journey but I need to this for Areum. I'm being serious, you can go back. I won't mind."

"If that's what you wish. I'll talk to you later then. Take care of yourself." He patted me arm and I nodded. He then soon left and I was just standing by the hospital entrance as the sun set down giving a warm orange light whilst on the other side, the dark blue sky came running across...