Chapter Two

STACY

I flipped my covers off of me and turned my alarm off. I slipped into a pair of jeans then grabbed a sweatshirt. I brushed my teeth, tied my hair into a bun, washed my face then slipped on shoes. I made sure my brother was awake then ran downstairs. I made myself some cereal and made sure my bag was packed with all that I needed for school. I walked outside and turned on the car and breathed in the cool air of the dark, early morning dew. I walked back inside and told Jared, my fourteen-year-old brother, that it was time to go. It was five-fifty and seminary was at six. Jared ran down the stairs and grabbed his lunch. I went out to the car with my backpack and my little brother joined me with a poptart in his hand.

We listened to Nathan Pacheco's "Higher" album on the way and my brother didn't complain. He learned that if he was going to drive with me, we would listen to church music to and from seminary and anything else church related. After seminary, we went to school. Once my brother climbed out of the car and met up with other friends, I pulled out my phone and found that my mystery boy had texted me during my church class.

"I was just thinking, and wanted to know if you've ever kissed a boy?" 🤔💋

"I have not. I told you that I've never texted a boy, hence, I've never had a boy's number. HENCE, I've never kissed a boy."

He didn't text back and I didn't expect him to. I climbed out of my Honda and grabbed my bag from the back seat. I walked into school and went to my locker. Jane was nearby, talking with a group of friends. I waved to her and she dumbly smiled at me. I shut my locker and walked over to her.

"Hey, how was the party?" I asked her. I caught the other girls who were around her looking me up and down, judging my appearance. The boys just simply ignored me.

"The party was fun." Jane answered, clearly not interested in my presence.

"That's good. I texted you but it ended up being the wrong number." A friend nearby snickered. I looked down for a split second, careful not to roll an ankle as I rubbed my toes over one another.

"Yeah, I got a new phone a week ago. Sorry." Jane said with a shrug.

"No, problem." I went to ask her for her new number to stay in touch until I was interrupted by Jane's boyfriend. Or at least, what looked like a boyfriend with the way he was kissing her face off. For a split second, I wanted that to be me. I wanted a boy to just come up to me and hug me and kiss my face off. I simply walked away from the group of fairly pretty girls and guys and went to my first class. I slipped into my desk and hated how my butt could barely fit into the seat. The desks were connected to the chairs and my teacher went further to torcher me unintentionally by placing me on the right of another desk, making it hard to not just slip out of the desk but to slip into it.

I pulled out my phone but my mystery boy still hadn't responded. Part of me really liked the attention and wished he'd give me more of it. Never had anyone, besides family, given me as much attention in just the past two days than this guy had.

At lunch, as I sat at a table with other Mormon kids, my phone dinged. I smiled and looked at it. Disapointedly, it was just my mom reminding me that my two twin brothers had wrestling practice at the middle school after school. The bell rang and I got up to leave. Right as I was exiting the doors, a hard body hit me and I fell to the floor.

"Come on man!" Someone said. It was a male. I turned and found a very cute boy lying on the hard ground beside me. "Sorry," he simply said. He didn't even give me a second glance before popping off the floor and shoving his friend back. I knew both of them. Nick Cam and Kyle Everett. Both clowns but both incredibly cute. I hoisted myself off the floor and just stood there for a second looking at the two friends pushing each other around. I couldn't help but wish I had a friend to nudge and joke off with.