Chapter Fifteen

STACY

It was Saturday. That meant that it was Sadie Hawkins. That meant another year gone by where I didn't go to another dance. Church dances were the only things I ever went to, but those can hardly be considered something formal.

Nick and I texted a little bit throughout our Saturday but I had a lot of chores and homework. Taking five AP classes didn't sound so much as a good idea anymore. Nick has been taking up so much of my time I'm realizing that the idea of never having friends my senior year was a stupid thought.

AP exams were less than two months away and I needed to start reviewing past chapters. Jared wasn't planning on going to the dance either so it made it easier on me to just sit on the couch and watch a movie with him.

Suddenly, a knock came from the door. I revealed my address to Nick because he thought it wasn't fair that I knew where he lived and he didn't know where I lived.

But I didn't know that he was actually planning something.

I walked to the door and opened it. Before me stood my boyfriend, all tall and straight while wearing a white button-up with a navy blue bow tie and black suspenders that matched his black slacks. He looked really hot. I caved in as I was just simply wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. My hair was in a messy bun and I didn't have any makeup on.

"Hey gorgeous. Why aren't you ready?" I blushed at his words and gasped when he revealed a flower from behind his back. It was a rose. His mom owned a flower shop in town, which made total sense.

"For the dance?" I asked in disbelief. He nodded and smiled that gorgeous smile of his. "But, I didn't even ask you."

"Yes you did. Two weeks ago you asked me if I would go to Sadies with you if you asked. I said yes. So, here I am."

"But that doesn't mean I asked." I folded my arms.

"Yet you want to. Come on, be honest, I'm one sexy boyfriend right now." I giggled and he placed a sexy smolder on his handsome face as he leaned on my door frame with his hand on his hip. "You go get on a dress and I'll be down here waiting." I nodded shyly then ran upstairs.

I could hear Nick and my parents talking and they seemed to enjoy the conversation they were having with him. Something about school and college.

I dug into the back of my closet for a party dress that I always wore to social events that called for something more fancy and as luck would have it, it was navy blue, just like Nick's bow tie. I grabbed a pair of blue flats and ran into the bathroom. I brushed out my hair as fast as I could and smothered lotion all over my legs and arms. I put on some eye liner and mascara and a little bit of eye shadow. I then made my way downstairs into the kitchen where everyone was waiting.

Nick turned around upon hearing my entry and smiled.

"Nice to know that you can get all dolled up so quickly." He commented. I blushed and regretted putting powder on my cheeks. "You look nice." He came over and kissed my cheek in front of my parents. I looked at my dad who already had a disapproving look on his face.

"Bring her home before twelve." He said. Nick nodded.

"Of course sir. It was nice meeting you guys." He shook my dad's hand and my mom's.

"You as well, Nick." My mom said, my dad just nodded. Something told me that I was in for it when I got home.

Nick grabbed my hand and pulled me out the door. He opened the passenger door to his car for me and I climbed inside.

"So," he began once he was inside the car and ready to go, "I was thinking that we would go to the dance for a little bit then get something to eat or we can get something to eat then go to the dance. I, however, would like to spend as much time with you being happy and if the dance is annoying then we can just ditch."

"Sounds like a plan," I said, a bit nervous.

"Which one?"

"Oh, uh. Let's go to the dance first."

"You got it!" He drove to the school and conversation wasn't very popular on the way there.

Once we arrived a flood of nerves came over me and I didn't want to go in anymore. It was my senior year of high school and I was still nervous to go to a fricken dance.

Nick and I climbed out of his car then held hands as we walked in.

The rap music playing was loud. Really loud. Nick shouted at me and guided us over to his friends. I cringed as I watched the dance team grind up against their dates and participate in even more inappropriate dance moves.

His friends waved to me but soon ignored both of us. Nick left me only once to dance to a stupid rap song with Kyle but then came back and did the awkward slow dancing couples did at this dance. At least we weren't the only ones. I saw a group of Mormons and knew that I would be more accepted over there. I pulled Nick towards there and he met a few of the kids. But we didn't stay long, somehow we ended up back with his own friends

I started to get dizzy and wondered if any of the other jumping and dancing teenagers were feeling the same way. Nick kept nudging me to dance so I did.

After an hour of moving my hips and jumping with the rest of the crowd, I was tired but I realized that I was having fun. Nick came up behind me and placed his hands on my hips.

NICK

I came up behind my girlfriend at the dance and she went along with it. I was incredibly surprised. Suddenly, I heard a deep voice. Too deep to make out. I became overcome with weakness and fear. I looked around the room and wondered where the voice was coming from when I heard it a second time. It was a little more clear, but it was still way too soft to hear.

"Let go of her and leave."

I blinked a thousand times and released Stacy. She turned around and wrapped her arms around my neck. She was smiling her adorable smile but I couldn't return it.

"Nick? Are you okay?" I shook my head.

"Let's go, we need to leave." I grabbed her hand and guided ourselves through the crowd of crazy teenagers. We got out to the foyer and Stacy asked what was wrong. "I don't know, I got a weird feeling in there. And ... there was like a warning or something. What we were doing ... it wasn't right." I shrugged. "I don't know, the music sucks. Let's just leave and get something to eat in town." She nodded and followed me out into the drizzle that had begun to fall during the dance.

We drove to a Mexican restaurant in town and sat in the car with our food.

"Thanks for taking me," Stacy said. She finished off her burrito a little after I had finished mine. I nodded and smiled at her. I looked at her lips and felt my pants go numb.

"Take her home."

That voice again! Where is it coming from? Is it just my conscience?

"I should take you home. It's almost twelve." Stacy nodded and didn't object. The drive was silent and I badly wanted to touch her thigh. Something in me compelled me not to though. Where all of this self control was coming from I didn't know.

We got into her driveway and just sat there.

"Thank you, Nick. I had a lot of fun. She leaned across the middle console and kissed me. I melted into the kiss and didn't want to lose it. I cupped her cheek and deepened the contact of our lips. It was slow, and it was nice.

I walked her to her door and we hugged goodbye. I then drove home and grabbed a cigarette and went outside.

I smoked into the dark and thought about the voice that had kept nagging at me all night. Stacy said the Spirit could be a feeling or a voice. Like a still small voice. Was it the Spirit that I was listening to? Did he warn me and save me from something? What could have happened had we stayed at the dance? What would have happened had I kissed her in the car in the parking lot?

I threw my cigarette onto the pavement of the sidewalk and went back inside. It was cold and I hated feeling numb.