Chapter Fourteen

NICK

I had sat in on Stacy's seminary class and barely knew what the heck they were talking about. They kept referencing the Book of Mormon and watched a few videos on a big TV that had been rolled into the classroom.

What I had supposed was the Spirit, was still strong. I really liked it. I wondered how easy life must be for Mormons. I mean, they get to have this spirit with them always. How do I keep this feeling with me always?

One of the videos that we watched was on crocodiles. But the man speaking had totally twisted the whole meaning of the crocodile around by comparing its sneakiness with the devil's. When the video was coming to a close, I realized that I was a crocodile in Stacy's life. The video displayed partying and flirting and sorrow and regret. I had tried pulling Stacy under water with my sharp mouth when I tried taking advantage of her. If she had allowed it, then she would have drowned and ended up as miserable as me.

I didn't want to be a crocodile.

At school I held Stacy's hand and was overcome with depressing joy that someone like her had walked into my life.

I talked to Kyle a little bit in the halls before going to class with Stacy.

STACY

I finished my homework and texted Nick. We texted for a while until my dad got home. I practiced Piano then began my daily scripture study. Today I chose to listen to a talk.

"Approaching the Throne of God with Confidence" by Elder Jörg Klebingat.

I listened as I read along off my phone. I wanted to get back to texting Nick so that was why I picked a talk instead of diving into the scriptures. I knew it was wrong of me in a way but I was so happy to answer all the questions Nick had. I had occupied him these past few hours with the gospel library app I helped him download on his phone. I directed him to the "For the Strength of Youth" pamphlet as well as The Book of Mormon.

As I listened to the talk by Klebingat, I paused the video and reread a paragraph in it.

"2. Take responsibility for your own physical well-being. Your soul consists of your body and spirit. Feeding the spirit while neglecting the body, which is a temple, usually leads to spiritual dissonance and lowered self-esteem. If you are out of shape, if you are uncomfortable in your own body and can do something about it, then do it! Elder Russell M. Nelson has taught that we should "regard our body as a temple of our very own" and that we should "control our diet and exercise for physical fitness."

President Boyd K. Packer has taught "that our spirit and our body are combined in such a way that our body becomes an instrument of our mind and the foundation of our character" ("The Instrument of Your Mind and the Foundation of Your Character.") Therefore, please use good judgment in what and especially how much you eat, and regularly give your body the exercise it needs and deserves. If you are physically able, decide today to be the master of your own house and begin a regular, long-term exercise program, suited to your abilities, combined with a healthier diet. Spiritual confidence increases when your spirit, with the help of the Savior, is truly in charge of your natural man or woman."

How could I have been so blind? I read, I pray, I repent, I pay tithing, I partake of the sacrament, I never miss my meetings, I go to the temple every month! But I am so unbalanced it's not even funny!

I thought about President Nelson's new Youth Initiative that had started earlier this year. I had placed goals in only three of the four categories: Spiritual, Social, and Intellectual. But I had ignored Physical.

I ran to my room and grabbed my planning journal where I was keeping all my goals. I then ran to the bathroom and weighed myself. I wrote down the three digit number that made me want to die and began writing down a schedule that I would begin following every week for five days. I was going to run after school. I want to. I need to. That is the only way to lose weight fast. I also wrote down a diet plan. Not exactly only fruits and salads but less food in general. Not enough to starve me but enough to preserve me for my height and age. I was overweight. And Elder Jörg Klebingat asked about how I would feel if I stood before the Savior.

I wouldn't want to show myself.

At dinner I told my parents my plan and they said they would support me, even if it meant hiding certain snacks from me and pushing me out the door to go running.

I called Nick after dinner. I knew that with this improvement, I would be able to show him that I can change. And if I can go down about fifty pounds, then he can stop smoking and drinking.

I don't plan on forcing conversion on my boyfriend, but I do plan on making him happy. He seemed pretty happy to me on the phone when he couldn't stop complaining about Laman and Lemual.

"I just can't believe they won't listen to their younger brother Nephi. I don't get it! I mean, they saw a fricken angel!"

"I know right? But can I tell you something?"

"Shoot,"

"Conversion doesn't just simply come by seeing angels or miracles. But by the Holy Ghost. Only the Holy Ghost can testify of the Father and of the Son."

"What about Joseph Smith?"

"Well, he saw the Father and the Son. No need for the Spirit. Of course the Spirit was in the sacred grove. But in all actuality, I mean, the Spirit was basically there right?"

"I guess. I want to read more about Joseph Smith. I feel like I need to know about how the Book of Mormon came about before I read the book."

"Okay, I guess I should have explained it all to you more before I just plopped a Book of Mormon on your lap."

"It's all good. I'm really enjoying the book. People say the Bible is really hard to understand but this book is really easy."

"Just wait until you're in Second Nephi."

"There's a Second Nephi?"

"Yep." He muttered under his breath. "Changing topic, I was listening to a talk given by a church leader from two thousand fourteen and was told something that really struck me." He was quiet. "It's about my weight. I want to fix it."

"Stacy, I'm in on anything that you need support for. However, I'm not into the throwing up and starving thing. I don't care what you look like. I know I'm sounding cheesy but it's true. I don't like you because you're beautiful, you're beautiful because I like you. Just promise me that you will do whatever you want to your body in a safe and healthy way. Please don't starve yourself or put your fingers down your throat."

"Thank you, Nick."

"Of course, I'm always here for a confidence boost."

For some reason I wanted to say, 'I love you.' But that was way too soon! Nick was the first guy that I've only ever liked. There were so many choices out there. For now, Nick and I are teenagers and we are going to enjoy ourselves without getting too far ahead of each other.

"Thank you," I repeated. "It means a lot."

"Maybe you and I can go on some runs together."

"You run?"

"Well, no, but how hard can it be?"