Chapter Twelve

NICK

Once I was back inside my mom went again with questions that a mother simply asked her son once the girl had left.

"So, she's a mormon. Did you hit your head or something?" She wasn't trying to be mean or anything. I knew she was just as surprised as I was when I realized my feelings for Stacy.

"Yeah," I simply shrugged and plopped down beside her on the couch. Usually she would be doing the dishes and putting dinner away but my mormon girlfriend in her perfect Saint way helped her.

"You better not screw it up." I didn't expect my mom to say that! I turned to her and she noticed my confusion. "She's way too perfect for you, son. I know I should be standing up for you but you really picked a sweetheart. I mean she asked me about my day, she asked me about work, she offered to help with dinner, she answered my questions in an adult way, and she had a plan for the future. She is everything opposite of you, Nick." I nodded. "Why do you like her?"

I shrugged. But that was an understatement. I narrowed my eyes and looked my mom in the eye. "I really like Stacy. I know she's not my usual type but mom, I've never wanted to be around someone so badly." I looked away and stared at a spot on the floor. "She makes me really happy." I smiled. "She has this ... aura or something around her. When I'm around her I feel calm and actually really intimidated."

"Oh good, I thought I was the only one."

"You were intimidated by Stacy tonight?" I sat up and looked at my mom with a teasing grin.

"Well, that girl said a beautiful prayer and not once offended me or looked offended at the dinner table. She gave me her full attention and you're right, there is something about her."

"Right? Like ... a burning in my chest."

"Yeah ... ."

"Weird huh?" My mom nodded.

"I also wanted to add ... she's not exactly the prettiest girl or very skinny." I blushed and told my mom everything. About the accidental text, about Jane, about how I figured it all out, and even the phone calls and late nights.

"Yeah you're right, she's not very pretty, but she's pretty to me."

My mom patted my knee and went off to bed. I went to tell her I love her but refrained. I wasn't there with my mom.

STACY

Thursday I texted Nick early in the morning asking about school. He said we were dating in front of his mom but did that include dating in front of the whole school? In front of his friends?

I didn't get a text back due to it being so early but I was pretty unrestful throughout seminary. Other members asking if Nick and I were dating, due to watching him and I flirt at lunch the day before, only made my anticipation for his answer more nerve-racking. After seminary, I pulled my phone out and tapped on his text.

"Well good morning to you too, beautiful!"😘
"I'll meet you at your car so that we can walk in together."
"Where do you park?"

"I drive a black Honda. I usually park in front of the football field."

"How was seminary?"

"Spiritual as always. You should come sometime."

"Getting up five in the morning doesn't sound very fun."
"Not for me."

Jared climbed into the car and I drove to the school from the church. I couldn't see Nick anywhere so I parked in my usual spot. I climbed out along with my brother and looked around once more. There he was. Nick made his way towards me in a pair of tan pants and his hands shoved into the pockets of his navy blue jacket. He smiled and my heart melted. He was so cute. I knew that a boy got cuter and more mature looking in his twenties. I couldn't help but wonder what laid in store for the future of us.