Chapter Twenty-Five

NICK

"Can we sit together at lunch? Not inside, let's sit outside. The weather's nice today."

I looked at my text message and erased it.

"Hey, wanna sit together at lunch? Just like old times😉"

Backspace.

"Love you, see you at lunch."

When did I become such a stutterer over text?

"Hey."

She didn't text back.

This morning was still fresh in my mind. Jared was the first to know that his sister and I were back together. Next was Kyle. And I left it at that. Everyone would soon notice our holding hands and our interaction.

It was finally time for lunch and I wanted to be alone with my girlfriend.

"We should sit outside. It's a nice day today." I suggested when I met up with her.

"Okay," We decided on our bench that we used to always sit on before school. I asked why she didn't respond to my text and she admitted to losing her phone this morning when her parents found out about the party. I asked when she was getting it back and she didn't know. Instead, she gave me Jared's number in case I absolutely needed to call her.

"I need you all hours of the day, babe," she giggled cutely.

"You have a job. You couldn't possibly call me all hours of the day."

"Well, I at least text you all the time." She agreed and I felt clingy.

"Aaaa. Let's never break up again. Cause that was hell." I admitted halfway through lunch.

"I agree." Stacy added. She scooted closer and glanced at her legs before folding them over each other. She's been doing that a lot. I also heard her wince earlier. I decided to do an experiment.

"Babe," I got up from my seat on the bench and walked over to a tree. "Do I look good by a tree?" Stacy tilted her head and her curls flowed gently over her shoulder and arm.

"Yes," she turned her head back straight forward.

"Do you?" For a second I caught a worried look in her eyes before it was gone and she was smiling brightly, allowing her braces to glisten in the sun.

She got up from the bench and walked towards me. And my assumptions were correct, she was walking awkwardly. Kind of bow-legged. I passed by her and sat on the bench.

"Oh yeah, definitely," I said with a stupid grin on my face. She came over nervously and I noticed the weird walk in her step again. She sat down beside me and I wrapped my arm around her. "I'm so lucky to have a cute girlfriend."

"Yeah right," she scoffed.

"I mean it!" We caught each other's eyes then our lips did the same. Stacy wrapped her arms around my waist as I placed a hand on her thigh. I pressed on the farthest one from me and broke our connection.

"Are you on your period?" I asked as I found little spots of red seeping through her light blue jeans. Stacy looked away then closed her legs back up.