Chapter Eleven

STACY

Nick's mom walked in and I nearly jumped in his arms, which had slithered around my waist.

"Mom!" Nick said, surprised.

"Hi son." Nick's mom was super skinny and I immediately felt awkward being around someone as pretty as her. She looked like Nick, or Nick looked like her, except she had dark eyes. "Who's this?" She had such a kind smile and I wondered what happened between her and her ex-husband.

"Uh, this is Stacy Travie."

"Nice to meet you," I said. I held my hand out to her and she gladly shook it.

"Hi, I'm Nick's mom, Sallie Owens." She said Owens and I realized Nick had kept his dad's last name. I smiled and already liked her.

"Um," Nick stammered. He had let go of me and was now looking at his feet with his hands in his pockets. "Stacy is staying for dinner."

"Oh, great! Do you have any food allergies?" I shook my head. "Alright. Then I hope you don't mind some hamburger soup." I shook my head again, showing off my wide metal smile.

"Okay, Stacy and I are going to be in my room."

"I don't think any girl should be in that pigsty of a room." I giggled and Nick furrowed his eyebrows.

"I cleaned my room before she came over."

"Shocker." His mother teased. I giggled again. Nick grabbed my hand and pulled me up to his room.

I may share a room with a boy at the moment but I've never been in a non-brother room. In other words: a boy's room that wasn't my brothers'.

Nick sat me down on the bed and I became uneasy. He sat down beside me and I wondered how many girls he had taken up to this average-sized bedroom with blue walls.

"Huh," he began, "a lot of girls I bring in here claim they've never been in a boy's room." He blushed. "I mean, only a few girls have been in this room."

"You mean in this bed." He looked away. Reluctantly he nodded.

"Sorry," he shrugged.

"I mean, don't be sorry. You have your agency to do whatever you want. I'm not stopping you from doing what you want. And the past is the past. You didn't know me before." I shrugged. He turned to me and smiled. "However, I don't know what we're going to do in your room ... ." He sighed heavily.

"Fine, we can go hang out with my mom." I smiled and grabbed his hand. He looked shocked at first but then squeezed my hand in return.

NICK

"Oh, and what I was going to say before, was: I know that you have five brothers and that your older brother Mathew is staying in your room with you. So I know my room was no shocker." I said as we descended down the stairs to the living room. She giggled.

"I bet you've been in plenty of girl rooms."

"Actually you'd be surprised. Yours will be the first." I pressed. If I acted like we were already dating then she would go along with it. It was a tactic I would often use on girls. If I wanted to hang out, I didn't ask, I simply said where and when and the girl always agreed and showed up.

"Well, if you count it as a half boy half girl room." We both chuckled. We made it to the bottom of the steps and my mom looked up from her dicing of tomatoes. She looked surprised and I knew she must have thought Stacy and I were going to be making out in my room or something. Heck, that's what I thought we were going to do.