Chapter Thirty

NICK

I parked my car in the parking lot at the hospital then walked inside with Stacy's phone. I took the elevator and remembered how I saw her parents' car. That meant they were here, too. I took in deep breaths and prayed to God for strength to see Stacy. I'll admit. I'm scared. She'll give me that same blank stare that I received earlier when I hugged her. She's going to chuckle and blush awkwardly and I'm gonna miss my old Stacy. Sure, she's still the same. But ... she was comfortable around me before she lost her memory. She's gonna be standoffish like she was in the beginning of our relationship.

I walked to her hospital room but stopped when I heard my name being mentioned.

"I think it's best that Stacy forget about Nick." It was her dad. What the heck!? Forget about me? Why the hell?

"But ... " her mom. "That boy is smitten with Stacy. Even if she has her memory gone, he's still going to chase after her."

"But he's no—"

"Mormon?" I heard a smirk in Stacy's mom's tone. "I wasn't active when we met,"

"But you changed. That boy isn't willing to change, no matter what Stacy puts herself through." I looked down at my shoes and peeked through the window at Stacy. "In all honesty, I was happy when she told us they broke up. I wanted to punch a wall when she told me that they were together again."

"Honey, Nick's a nice boy."

"I know! I enjoyed every time he came over. And the way Stacy looks at him and the way he looks at her, anyone can tell they like each other. But ... she deserves better. She deserves a missionary. She deserves a temple marriage. She deserves to have her kids blessed with a priesthood holder in her house. I don't think Nick is planning on converting for our daughter."

I frowned and had had enough. I walked into the room and there was a flash of light. Lightening. A few seconds later as I glared at Mr. and Mrs. Travie, a rumble of thunder erupted above the hospital. Then rain broke out and slammed against the window of the hospital room.

"Nick," Mrs. Travie stated.

"Mr. Travie," I began as I walked up to him and his surprised face gripping Stacy's phone in my hand, "I love Stacy. I heard all that you said and you're wrong. I'm willing to change. Not for your daughter, but for myself. Sir, I'm willing to get baptized. And I made up that decision only a few days ago. I want Stacy to have all of those blessings just as much as you do. That is why I broke up with her all those weeks ago. I didn't think I could provide that. Now, I'm positive I can. I want to join this church. I want to be able to give blessings to my own children like you did for Stacy. If Stacy doesn't want me anymore, I'm still getting baptized, and I hope your family will be there, because I want it to be John who baptizes me." Mr. Travie seemed taken back at first. Then he softly smiled and hugged me. He patted me on the back as Stacy's mom placed a hand on my shoulder.

"You're a good kid, Nick. Understand that I only want the best for my daughter. She deserves the world, can you give her that?" Suddenly, my mom's words came to me. I told her that she deserved the world, and she asked if I was giving Stacy that.

"I hope so," I faintly answered. I glanced at my girlfriend who was asleep and smiled. I hope so ... .

"We're heading home, we have to make dinner," her mom said. I nodded and got out of the hug.

"I have Stacy's phone," I dumbly responded.

"Oh, perfect."

"When did she fall asleep?"

"We don't know, she was asleep when we came."

"Any updates? When is she allowed to go home?" And when can I take her out on a date!?