Chapter Thirty-Three

Author's note: I apologize for the month break I took. I placed a message on my board explaining why.

I do not support Pride Month nor BLM. I do not hate the people and I am not a racist. But Wattpad is supporting it and I just couldn't stand going on the app until it was all over. It's July 1st, so, as promised, I will go back to updating my stories.

I hope you enjoy the book. Thank you for your support.

NICK

"I love you."

I texted my girlfriend, Stacy. After re-reading our texts. Her and I were conversing just like we had before the accident until I stupidly mentioned that whole stocker joke. I'm so stupid! I left the pool after sitting in the locker room texting Stacy and waiting for a reply after my 'I love you.' But she didn't respond. The whole way home I cursed inside my head as I had the music blaring and my eyes constantly giving my phone sideways glances.

When I got home, I found my mom and ... James. The last time I saw the guy was when Stacy was here for dinner. That was a painful night for the both of us. Or at least, the morning after it was. That was the night I broke up with her. The morning. The morning I broke her. I say broke because she placed herself in a terrible, unhealthy state because of me. But thinking about that night, as I stare at my mom's boyfriend and at the sliding glass door I stepped out on, only makes me wish for my girlfriend's arms to be around me, and her lips on my neck.

"Hi, Nicky. How was work?" My mom asked as she placed fried rice on the dining table.

"It was good." James was leaning against the counter. "Hey, James." I said for the first time since the man began dating my mother. He looked perplexed at my greeting. Never had I ever greeted him. And after what went down between us at the dinner so long ago, it felt, he probably didn't expect me to acknowledge his presence like I would have in the past.

"Evening, Nick. Thought I'd join you and your mother for dinner." I simply nodded as I plopped my backpack down on the couch. My phone dinged and I reached for my phone as if it were a gun and I was in immediate danger.

"I love you, too, Nick."

"What's with that face? Did you win the lottery?" My mom asked as she placed rolls on the table. I nodded dumbly.

"Yep." I smiled down at my phone. This was the first time Stacy had said 'I love you' back to me.  "I'm getting my girlfriend back." I softly added. I came around the table without texting Stacy back, wanting to enjoy her text message a little longer, and sat down for dinner.

Once I was done, and some of my last minute homework was back in my bag, I plopped on my bed in my room and went straight to Stacy's message.

"Tomorrow is our last day of seminary."

Well that was lame.

"Yeah, I can't believe I missed the last part."

"I'm sure you did great on the test."

"What about you? How do you think you did?"

"The free response questions were easy. The memorized scriptures weren't."

"I bet you did great."

"Thanks for encouraging me to go all along."