Chapter Seventeen

STACY

I took in a deep breath as I stared at my street with no sidewalks. The mountains in the distance I made my fictional destination. I studied my figure and frowned at not being able to see my feet over my belly. I leaned forward slightly and saw my mom's running shoes. They were definitely not the most fashionable but I didn't have any other pair of running shoes. My thighs were touching and my black leggings were not hiding my cankles in the least.

I took in another deep breath as I looked at the dirt beside the road. I plugged headphones into my ears and the EFY music began to engulf my hearing senses.

I ran slowly as my boobs went up and down and began to hurt. Parts of my body I felt go up and down as well and I cursed myself for allowing myself to get so fat. I hated it of course but I could never accept the idea of hating myself.

As I ran, I hated myself. I hated myself for not taking care of the only body that I had. I didn't get another one. I mean, once I die I'll be reunited with a perfect body, but I don't want to wait. How much have I missed out on because I'm so overweight? I'm always last to the top of hikes. I've broken slides and swings. How many times have I denied myself from playing a sport? In fear that I'll break it, I don't even dare sit on Nick's lap.

Nick. The cold air began to catch up to me but I still kept going. Today would be a mile. I was almost done with half a mile. I needed to do this.

Nick. I'm doing this for Nick. Not in the exact sense of being skinnier for him but to encourage him to stop his abuse. He said that I was abusing myself when I tried sticking my fingers in my mouth, but he's abusing himself. His brain, his lungs, his thoughts. If I can lose weight, then he can stop. Hopefully. I want him to be healthy. I want to be healthy. I want us to be healthy and have a healthy relationship. I want to be with Nick. The future with him scares me. But if my faith is strong enough then we can help push each other.

All of these thoughts kept repeating themselves in my head as my glasses went up and down and up and down with every heavy step on the dirt.

NICK

"Are you back yet?"

"Just got back, actually, good timing."

"How was it?"

"It was good, better than the past few days,"

"That's good. You know, I still need to join you on one of these runs."

"I don't know. I honestly don't look attractive when I run."

"How would you know, you don't look at a mirror the whole time you run."
"I bet you look cute."

"☺️"

"I miss you."

"We saw each other after school, like less than an hour ago."

"Can I come over?"

"I'd like that."

I parked the car behind Stacy's Honda and almost slipped inside. I couldn't wait to see my girlfriend. This past week I've been working. I got a job as a lifeguard at the city's local pool. I just completed the lifeguard certification a day ago and I didn't start work till Monday. I guess I wasn't working then. But I haven't had as much time as I would like with Stacy. I mean, I've gone to seminary twice this week and I sit with her at lunch and the library towards the end of school but still, last week we were spending a lot more time together. I silently feared that when the AP exams neared, Stacy would cut off all connection with me to study. I didn't like thinking about that. I thought about how I would sit with her as she studied or maybe help her study. Whatever.