Chapter Thirty-One

NICK

I visited Stacy one more time on Tuesday and promised to see her after school on Wednesday as well. On Saturday, I planned to take her on a hike.

And then Saturday was here, and I hadn't seen my girlfriend for three days! She kept having headaches and her neck was hurting all the time. We tried texting but she wasn't into it as much as when we had first met one another. It didn't make sense. Part of me felt like my Stacy really was a different person ... .

"Okay, I'm taking Stacy up Lamoille Canyon." I told my mom as I shoved granola bars and water bottles into a hiking backpack.

"Okay," my mom responded in an unsure tone. "I hope everything goes well." Yeah, me too.

"I need to see her." I swung the backpack over my shoulder and reached for my keys hanging up.

"Sorry she's been so standoffish." My mom added after taking a sip of her morning coffee.

"Not after today." I grasped my keys and made it for the door.

"Oh?"

"I'm gonna remind her of the moment I first kissed her." I opened the door to outside.

"Oh," my mom said in a more flirtatious tone. I rolled my eyes and shut the door behind me.

I got in my car, turned it on, and didn't waist anytime. I drove to Stacy's house and made sure my breath smelt good and I wasn't sweating through the navy shirt I was wearing under the armpits. I went to just walk into her house like I used to but instead I run the doorbell. I heard some running then the door opened. Rick.

"Nick!" He said with a smile.

"Hey, Ricky, I'm here to pick up Stacy."

"Why did you ring the door bell?" I shrugged and smiled back. "Stacy! Nick's here!" I walked inside the house anticipating seeing my girlfriend. Stacy came down the stairs that descended straight to the front door to the side and I stifled a laugh at her white neck brace. She held onto the banister and easily made her way down each step with her head straight but her eyes watching her feet.

"Hey, Nick." She greeted once she made it to me. I kissed her cheek and she gasped. I didn't look at Rick's expression but I felt a silent gag and eyeball roll come from him. "What was that for?" Stacy touched her cheek which was now red with blush.

"That's how we always greet each other," I bent forward, turned my head, and tapped my cheek. Stacy hesitated and didn't do anything. I stood back up and shrugged. "No worries." I looked her up and down and she noticed. She squeezed her tan legs together and shoved her hands into the pockets of the overalls she was wearing. The bright denim was loose and stopped below her knee. She wore a pink short-sleeves shirt under. She wore work out hiking boots with thick socks bunched at the ankle and her hair was done down into two French braids. "You look cute," her eyes wandered to the tiled floor and I knew that if that neck brace wasn't on, all of the cute features of her face would be facing the ground.

"Rick, tell mom and dad I'm going out now," the thirteen-year-old nodded and walked off.

"Have fun, be safe!" He said before turning around the corner to the family room.

I gestured to the door with a stupid smirk and Stacy stifled a forced giggle. I realized then how much I missed her laugh. As I shut her front door, I promised myself to make her laugh today before I allowed her to walk through this door once more.

I opened her door and she seemed surprised. "Were you always this debonair?" She asked as she climbed into my car.

"Of course. I was raised to be a gentleman."