Chapter Thirty-Two

STACY

I got to re-meet Nick's mom on Saturday after falling asleep on the couch while watching Netflix. Then, on Sunday, he went to church with my family which I found out was a regular thing for him and my family. It was so strange. At first, I thought Nick would want to flirt with me or at least hold my hand but he was very respectful around my brothers and my parents. I really appreciated it.

Monday was finally here, and I had been dreading it's coming. Today was the day I went back to school. I hadn't been to school in over two weeks. I was just glad that almost all of my classes included AP. So that meant that almost all of my classes were full of movies.

Nick, Jared, and I all met at seminary, again, strange on my part to find Nick Cam at mormon seminary. The class welcomed me all back and a certain thought snuck its way into my head. I most definitely looked liked a complete weirdo with the neck brace. My hands were fine and my neck felt fine when I didn't move it. At least that is what I had been telling Nick and my family. My neck hurt every time I just slightly moved it. And I could barely eat with a utensil during meal times. My fingers were sore every second of the day. During the week of avoiding Nick, I would sit at my laptop and groan every time I had to use the touch screen ability. I wasn't used to it and when I tried to swipe off the slightest smudge, a page on google would swipe right and I would lose it and have to research it. And I could barely type searches into anything.

Then I would sit at the piano and just allow my sore fingers  skid across the ivory as silent tears escaped my eyes making under my chin itch from the barrier my neck brace made.

I didn't express any of this to my family members or my boyfriend. I did in my journal, but whose going to read a pathetic diary written by a pathetic Mormon girl who pathetically lost her pathetic memory of her pathetic life and pathetic boy—

I tell myself sometimes that I read too deep into things. Maybe I do.

In every class on Monday teachers welcomed me back and I got some stares from certain kids that most likely had no clue who the heck I was. Teachers were probably telling kids how I was in a coma and there probably were those who were like, "Stacy? Who's she?" I wasn't one to stand out.

Today I stood out. I felt like the teachers of the school were all in on making me turn red-faced upon walking into class.

"Babe, you're the talk of the school." Nick came up from behind me during lunch and grabbed my hand, him and I both having our backpacks on. I narrowed my eyes and looked at the floor as best I could.

"Don't remind me."

"Okay," Nick unfolded our fingers and wrapped his arm around me. He guided me to a bench that I had always daydreamed of sitting on with a boy. I wondered if Nick was my Knight in shining armor. "This is where we sit on good days. Today's a good day." I blushed.

"Who's idea was it at first?"

"Yours, and I'm glad. It's away from everyone else. I would have liked to sit here with you this morning like we always did after seminary but you had to get to the office and get things situated."

"I've always wanted to sit at this specific bench with a boyfriend. I never thought it would come true."

"It's senior year, baby, it's the year to accomplish all your high school wishes before graduation." We sat down and Nick pulled out a notebook and pen. "Okay, let's make a list."

Senior Bucket List

Nick wrote on the top of the paper.

"Sit on this bench with the most beautiful girl in school." I laughed.

"What?"