Chapter Twenty-Seven

NICK

"Stacy? Stacy!" She wasn't answering. I ended our call and I called Jared.

"Hello?"

"Jared, something's not right with Stacy. She called me on her way home from her job interview but she suddenly started crying and I heard rumbling on the other end. I think something's wrong."

"She called you, then ... there was noise?"

"Yeah. Like ... crashing noises."

"Hey, Matt, we need to go see if Stacy's okay," I heard Jared talk to his brother. I didn't hear their full conversation. "Okay, Matt and I are driving down Palace now. I'll call you if we see her."

"Okay, thanks. I'm almost done with work. I'll meet up with you in like thirty minutes." I hung up on him and finished quickly at the pool. I climbed into my car when I was done and drove to Stacy. There was suddenly an ambulance riding fast behind me and I quickly pulled off to the side of the road. It flew past me and I began to think the worst.

I followed it at a reasonable speed. When I got to where it was, I found a firetruck already there and firemen in the field below the road. They were breaking into Stacy's Honda. I pulled the car over and found Matt's car. I ran to it then ran to Stacy's brothers when I spotted them. Jared was crying and was hugging his knees. Matthew was yelling at the firemen. I ran up to him and Jared hugged me. I hugged the kid back but I wanted to see my girlfriend.

"Nick!" Matthew saw me, "Stacy must have seen a deer and skidded off the road. But these numbnuts don't know what they're doing! It's taking them forever to get her out of there." He wiped at his face and I realized that he was trying to fight back tears with anger.

I scooted closer to him and I wrapped him in the hug I was already giving Jared. Then the older brother broke down on my shoulder.

"Don't look at her, Nick. She's hurt bad." I gripped his shirt as tears began to escape my eyes. I looked at the crushed Honda and pulled out of the hug when they finally dragged her out of the car. I ran over to her lifeless body in one of the firemen's' arms.

"Stacy!" I cried. They laid her down on a gurney and the medics circled her. They picked up the bed and rolled it to the ambulance. "Stacy ... " I faintly cried.

Her face was blue and puffy and blood was running out of her hair, turning her dark curls even darker. She looked bad. And I couldn't control my breathing or my heart rate.

Two hours later I was sitting in the hospital with Stacy's family and my mom.

"Hey, doctor's here." Matthew hit my shoulder and I woke up from my half sleep.

"What's wrong?" Mr. Travie asked, folding his arms and looking ten years older.

"Your daughter's condition is very serious. Currently we have her on life support. In simple terms, she has a concussion. She's currently in a self-induced comma. She has slightly broken her neck and her fingers will have lost all sensitivity. When she flew off the side of the road, her car dove head first. So her dashboard curved over her hands. Crushing them."

"Will she be okay!" John yelled. His hand rested on Laura. She touched his chest and wiped at tears.

"There's no telling when or ... if she'll ever wake up. We found in her blood samples that she hasn't exactly been taking care of herself properly. Are there any differences in her actions lately. A difference to her routine?"

"She used to be a little overweight but over the past few months she's been losing weight." Stacy's mom said, hugging herself. The doctor wrote that down on his clipboard.