Chapter Six

NICK

Monday morning, after our sad phone call on Sunday, I finally got a text from my mystery girl, Kelly.

She told me her older brother was moving in with them. She would be sharing a room with her other older brother from now on until her oldest brother got things together. He also had a wife. For some reason, instead of feeling bad for Kelly, which I truly did, I thought about how it might be nice to have another girl, besides her mom, in the house. Kelly needed that. She needed a friend, and I thought about how her sister-in-law was just the woman she needed.

"Thanks for listening last night. I probably sounded pathetic over the phone."

"No problem. Sometimes it's better to talk to a stranger about problems than someone you know."

She didn't text back and I knew that she was in her seminary class. I got dressed, went to school, and met up with Kyle. I stood in the hall, waiting for a text from Kelly, when I watched an unattractive girl walk by. She had light brown hair and a large nose. I studied her as fast as I could and wondered if Kelly looked like that. Part of me hoped she didn't, the other part of me wanted to punch me right in the face for thinking so low of someone who couldn't help having a big nose and unattractive features.

But can't everyone be pretty?

A guy walked by who I knew had a lazy eye and also a gap tooth. What if I looked like him? Would Kelly still like me?

Then there was the park girl. I noticed that she was in my first period class everyday a few days ago. Lately she has been popping up everywhere. I wondered if Kelly looked like her. The girl had a cute smile, but she only ever smiled at homeless men. I watched her and studied her as she made her way down the hall. She kept averting her eyes and watching her feet walk. Her hair was done up into a silly makeshift bun and I liked how dark her hair was and how it shined under the lights of the hallway. Her glasses were cute on her and I imagined her slightly skinnier. She would be a cute girl if she just stood a little straighter and had more confidence. At least that was what I usually liked in a girl.

"Nick ... Nick!" I shook my head and blinked. Kyle was calling for my attention.

"What's up?"

"You in LaLa land or something? Sarah is asking you a question." I looked at the hot blond who I had had over at my house over a week ago and gave her my attention, even though my mind was cursing out on the fact that Kelly hadn't texted me back.

"My sister is having a party on Friday. Do you want to come?" My eyes pervertedly strayed to the mass amount of cleavage showing on Sarah.

"Oh, yeah, sure." She chuckled and kissed my cheek.

"You smell like smoke." I swallowed at her sexy tone. "I like that." She kissed me lightly on the lips and I suddenly couldn't wait for Friday night. The bell rang and I walked to class with Kyle.

I didn't get a text back from my mystery girl until lunch.

"Are you a stranger?"

"That depends."
"Am I a stranger to you?"

"Your name is Noah, you're eighteen, you have light brown hair, you're handsome, you like to party, you've had sex, you're favorite color is blue, and your parents are divorced."

"Yeah, I'm not a stranger."
"And you didn't sound pathetic. Actually you sounded scared. And I'm sorry if meeting me makes you feel that way."