Chapter 3: Stop Making Babies

"I don't pretend to understand
What it's like, stood in your shoes
But I would try them on for you
'Cause I hate to see you fade away."

Song: Not Giving In ~ Tom Walker

***

3. Stop Making Babies

Shawn's POV

"I need a shower," Jess groaned.

"It wasn't even that much mud Jessica," Michaels said.

When our cab stopped to pick us up it splashed a little mud on her.

I chuckled in the front seat. "Well ladies we're almost there."

"Good," Jess said. "I cannot wait to kiss the life out of Austin."

"You saw him three weeks ago," Michaels told her.

"That's three weeks too long."

I understood her I guess. Khalan's campus and mine weren't so far apart, but not being with her as often as I was in high school drove me insane sometimes.

True to my word the cab stopped after a little while. Immediately I got out I saw Liam running towards me at full speed. He jumped into my arms, hugging me and almost knocking me over as a result.

I laughed. "Ow. Mate, get the fuck off me."

"I've missed you man," Liam said.

"I've missed you too," I  replied. "But seriously...I'm about to fall."

He released me from his hold and I chuckled, greeting my other friends. Jessica did just what she said she'd do to Austin and then began talking to Shayley.

Shayley. After the girls were done with their conversation I made eye contact with her. She knew exactly what I was on to. Six months ago I paid Shayley an unexpected visit. I hated seeing Khalan worry about her, and frankly I was worried myself as well. Khalan said she had struggles in the past and was worried she fell back into old habits. Oregon was only a state away, so I decided I'd show up and see for myself if she was fine or not. I didn't want to give her a chance to say no or make up an excuse as to why she was busy or something. After a lot of asking around I finally got to her dorm room. I found her drifting between consciousness and unconsciousness. That was scary as hell, I really thought she was going to die on me or something. She didn't though, so obviously that was good. I helped her sober up and she came clean, not like she had a choice. I knew it all, her anxiety, drug problem, everything. I got her help, but after two months she stopped. I couldn't tell Michaels, because she made me promise not to say a word to anyone, and I listened. Now that we were spending the summer together though, I was going to get to the bottom of it. She was my friend, I cared.

******

"You think Shayley's okay?" Michaels asked me once we were up in our room.

"Well what did she tell you?" I said.

She shrugged, walking over to the bed. "That she is, but I don't know, something feels off."

I pulled her by the hand and let her fall onto my chest, brushing the strands of hair from her beautiful face. "It's nice how you worry about people."

She chuckled and sat up. "Shawn, I'm being serious here."

"I haven't even done anything yet," I laughed.

"I'm worried, Jess is too."

I sat up as well. "I know, but if Shayley's going to talk to you she will, believe me. We have the entire summer ahead of us, you'll get through to her I promise."

She offered me a small smile and kissed me gently. Before she got the chance to pull away though I pulled her closer. I could feel her smile through the kiss. She was everything in everything to me. I still felt bad about hiding what I knew from her, but I know what it's like to have your own inner demons. It wasn't nice when people released them to the world without your permission and in that biased way I respected Shayley's wishes. I was doing all I could though, to make sure that if I was the only one who knew I was the one who gave her the help she needed.

We both paused for air and I looked at her beautiful brown eyes. "Princess, I love you."

"Good to know," she smirked. "But shut up."

I chuckled as she pressed her lips onto mine once again, laying down on the bed with her in my arms. I felt my heart race. This girl did something to me I swear.

Then there was a knock.

Fuck my life.

She looked back but I caught her and turned her face towards me. "No, if we ignore they'll go away."

Before I could resume there was a second knock.

"Could you guys stop making babies and open the door?"

I was going to kill Liam.

Michaels laughed and got up while I just sulked.

She opened the door. "Hello Liam."

"Dude, there's already one too many people in this house," he said. "You can cross-pollinate some other time. Right now we're going to get something to eat."

I picked up a pillow and flung it toward him. He stepped outside and closed the door behind him in time. "I'll see you downstairs then!"

Michaels shook her head and extended her arm for me to take. "Come on."

I rolled my eyes but took it anyway, following her.

*******

It was a nice evening. We all just sat down catching up and talking about our up and down of a high school life.

"You guys seemed to have great adventures," Tess laughed after hearing our camping story.

"The best," Jacob agreed.

"Well here's to a summer of making new memories," Renée said, raising her cup.

Amen to that.

"To making new memories," Austin repeated.

Shayley suddenly got up. "I'll be right back."

Khalan gave me a worried look and  shook my head slightly, prompting her not to.

I got on my feet as well. "I'm going to get myself another drink.

"Oh, me too please," Renée asked.

"And me," Jess added.

I rose my index finger to the others. "That's all I'm carrying."

Austin chuckled and I went to the kitchen. I saw Shayley leaning against the island, her back turned to me.

"Shayley?" I called.

She turned. "Hm?"

"Shayley," I said. "You don't need to pretend with me. I know, remember?"

"Shawn, I'm fine," she said.

"Then rehab, why did you stop going?"

"Because I didn't need it anymore," she answered. "Seriously Shawn, I'm not your responsibility. I never was, so stop trying to fix me."

"You're going down a dangerous road," I told her. "I'm just worried, that's all."

"I'm not going down any road Shawn," she defended. "Thank you for being a good friend, but I promise, I am fine."

Of course I didn't believe her, but I knew not to push, and so I just  nodded. "Okay, I'll take your word for it."

She sighed. "Thank you."

She lied, but what she didnt know was that so did I.

A/N

How do you guys feel about Khalan not knowing everything that went down. Do you think Shawn is justified by being a good friend to Shayley and not saying anything? I mean he did still try to help. I'd like to know what goes on in those pretty heads of yours ;).

- amani