Chapter 9: It's A Date

"Just be careful
Love ain't simple
Promise me no promises."

Song: No Promises ~ Cheat Codes ft. Demi Lovato

***

9. It's A Date

The rest of the day consisted of the girls grilling me to the bone about Cameron and me getting away from them to play a round of cards with Austin. And soon we were all just sitting in a giant circle playing board games.

I had gotten up to go and get a glass of water from the kitchen. When I turned, Jacob's presence startled me.

"You have a habit of scaring people don't you?" I joked.

"I move very discreetly," he said.

I chuckled. "Hey, I thought I was the ninja here."

He laughed softly, leaning on the counter. "So...Cameron."

"Oh God no," I groaned. "I am not discussing him with you. I mean look what happened the last time I talked to you both at once."

"Wait...what?" he asked.

Oh shit.

"Uh...I just meant-"

"Wait, you're saying that's why it happened?" he asked. "The anxiety attack?"

"Not exactly," I half lied.

"So...if I had never walked in on your conversation you would have been fine?"

"Jacob-"

"Shayley," he said with a half smile. "You can tell me."

I sighed. "It wasn't you. I promise."

Well it wasn't.

It was both of them.

Oh come on, freaking out when two boys as hot as them cornered you was normal.

Maybe getting a full blown anxiety attack and then self medicating after wasn't so normal, but freaking out at least was.

Right?

Anything to make me feel less crazy...please.

"Huh," he teased. "I've had a lot of responses from girls but never a reaction like that."

I rose an eyebrow. "Are you making fun of me?"

His eyes widened. "What? No...I would never I-"

I began to laugh. "Well Jacob, if you ask me I seem to get quite the reaction from you too."

"You're evil," he laughed softly.

"Yeah but you like me that way," I shrugged.

"Yes, yes I do," he said, putting his hands in his pockets.

I was expecting another joke or tease but not that answer. We looked at each other for a couple of seconds before I cleared my throat.

"Meet me out on the patio tomorrow at six a.m.," he told me.

"Um...for what exactly?" I asked.

"Just do," he chuckled. "You'll probably be awake by then."

"True," I said.

"Then tomorrow at six," he said with a small smile. "You, me, and the sunrise."

"It's a date," I said, and my eyes widened at my statement. "Um...not a date date...obviously."