Chapter 34: Conversations In The Dark

"I won't ever try to change you
I will always want the same you
Swear on everything I pray to
That I won't break your heart."

Song: Conversations In The Dark ~ John Legend

***

34. Conversations In The Dark

Jacob's POV

I spent my day after that mostly thinking of what I was going to do, and now the day Cathy was supposed to leave had come. As for Shayley, well she practically avoided me. It didn't help that she was all I thought about aside that. What I would give to have her in my arms again...

I paced around my room, and then looked at the time on the clock hanging on the wall. The day was practically over and Cathy would be leaving soon.

Fuck it.

I threw on a sweatshirt and rushed out of the ranch, getting into the truck parked in the garage.

Everyone was doing their own thing, so no one saw me leave. I didn't bother about that. Right now I had to get to the airport.

I drove as fast as I could, speed walking my way to where I knew Cathy's gate would be. I caught a glimpse of her and yelled her name.

"Cathy!"

She looked around, confused, and so I called her again. When she finally turned around, the look of confusion wore off and was replaced with a bright smile. Now that I had gotten her attention I walked at a normal pace to catch up with her.

She took my hands and smiled even more. "I knew you'd come."

***

Shayley's POV

I still didn't know what Jacob was going to do. Time was ticking wasn't it?

If he left he wouldn't come back, and we'd probably all have to go too. I couldn't say with confidence that the two of us would last. I'd probably just shut down and ignore everyone again.

I knew he loved me, he'd said it countless times. But I'd had people love me and then leave one way or another...he'd be no different. It was only a matter of time till people either got tired of me and my problems, or the world took them some other way.

The world took Cameron.

I still had his thirty day chip. Whenever I felt like I was slipping back under it reminded me not to. I just didn't know how good a job it would do if I didn't have Jacob. I'd been too afraid to open up to anyone in so long, and so now that I had I couldn't help but think there was some kind of impending doom waiting to come my way. I hadn't taken my medication in a couple of days. They messed with my head and made me sadder than I already was. And so now I was just wallowing in a pit of depression and anxiety and I couldn't do anything about it.

Someone knocked on the door, making me sit up from my bed immediately in hopes that it was Jacob.

"Come in."

It wasn't.

Tess poked her head in. "Sorry, I just thought my brother might be with you. Can't find him anywhere."

"He's not here?" I asked, my heart suddenly racing in my chest.

Well calm down Shayley, there's loads of other places he could be.

Yeah, like on a plane.

I immediately got up and walked past Tess to his room.

"Shayley," she called after me.