Chapter 22: Only Strong Hearts Hope

Trigger Warning

"When every ship is going down
I don't fear nothing when I hear you say
It's gonna be okay."

Song: Ok ~ Robin Schulz ft James Blunt

***

22. Only Strong Hearts Hope

"Hey, what happened?" Austin asked me. "Did you have an attack?"

"Nope," I answered, breathing deeply. "At least I haven't yet."

"I'm sorry, if I had known I-"

I stopped Liam from going further. "Not your fault. Could have been any time and any place."

He nodded. "We should probably get going though."

Renée took his hand and smiled at him. "Thanks for today."

His solemn expression was replaced with a smug smile. "I just knew you find me irresistible."

She scoffed and let him go, walking away.

"Renée! Baby!" he called after her.

I managed to laugh at how cute he was.

We went back to the ranch and I went to the bedroom Renée and I were occupying. She was off flirting with Liam...again...and so I just sat down on my bed, alone.

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to pop a pill or two after a day like this, but I guess being better actually meant doing better.

I sat for a while, and then there was a knock at the door. I got up to open it, hoping it was Jacob.

It wasn't.

"Tess, hey," I said, allowing her to come in. "Are you okay?"

"Better," she chuckled. "I'm sorry for freaking out like that, I probably freaked the hell out of you too."

I shook my head. "Don't apologize, please. I of all people know it's not exactly something that's easy to control."

"I wanted to explain," she said.

"You don't have to," I told her.

She shrugged. "I know I don't, but it's nice talking to someone who understands what it's like to live with..."

"Issues?" I suggested with a lighthearted laugh. "Sit, get it off your chest."

We sat on the bed and she let out a breath.

"I told you when you first got here that I moved away" she began. "But before that, I was happy. My parents had their problems, but I was happy. I had my best friend...Carly Fisher."

"C.F.," I commented, remembering Jacob's tattoo.

She nodded. "We were the closest group. Jacob, me, Carly, and Carly's sister, Cathy. We grew up together. Jacob and Cathy were older but we all still got along really well. Carly and I, we were two peas in a pod, yin and yang, whatever you call it. I even had this stupid crush on her."

I chuckled.

Tess shrugged. "I knew she wasn't into girls, but I was fine with that. As long as we were friends, I was okay. We were out...one night...just walking, chatting, having stupid fun. Before I knew it a van pulled up and everything went dark."

I listened attentively in horror.

"I don't know where I was, all I know is that it was a tiny room with nothing but a door and a vent."