Chapter 6: Summer Night Rendezvous

"You know I'll fight my corner
And that tonight I'll call ya
After my blood is drowning in alcohol."

Song: Give Me Love ~ Ed Sheeran

***

6. Summer Night Rendezvous

I shot up from bed, taking in deep breaths. The lights were off now, unlike when I fell asleep. I could still see the outline of Renée on her bed though, the figure slowly rising and falling. It must be late. I checked my time - 3:01 am. I sighed and got out of bed, going down to the kitchen to get a glass of water. Thankfully there was no one there this time. I stood there in the darkness after consuming my water, just pondering on everything. When I felt ready to go back I slowly made my way out of the kitchen. When I got to the staircase I noticed someone sitting there.

"Jacob?"

He rose his head from his hands and looked at me. "Shayley, hi."

"What are you doing sitting here all by yourself?" I asked. "I mean it's kinda creepy. If we were in a horror movie you would have killed me by now."

He chuckled. "I promise not to murder you."

I smiled, though I doubt he could tell I did, and took a seat next to him at the foot of the stairs.

"So, why are you up?"

"I could ask you the same," he retorted with a soft laugh.

"Well I asked you first," I said.

He was silent for a few seconds and then sighed. "Can we go outside? Looking at the sky always calms me."

"Um, okay," I agreed, not knowing why he needed to be calmed down.

I followed him out onto the patio and we both sat down.

He stared at the sky.

"So," I began. "Any reason you can't sleep?"

He sighed and shook his head, looking at me. "I um...I have insomnia."

"Oh," I said softly. "I'm really sorry about that Jacob."

I'm really sorry? That was such a lame thing to say. Therapists always used to say that to me, but it didn't change shit. I wish it did, but it didn't. It didn't matter the amount of pity you got, you were still going to be messed up.

"Is there anything that could possibly keep you up at night?" I asked.

He chuckled sourly. "That, Shayley, is a different story for a different night."

"Oh, so you think there's going to be another night?" I asked.

"This is the second time we've run into each other because of this," he said with a small smile. "Who knows, we might just have ourselves a couple of summer night rendezvous."

I laughed quietly at that.

"So what about you?" he asked. "And don't give me that bullshit excuse about your body's natural alarm. I saw how you looked before leaving the room last night."

I stayed silent and looked away. How was I supposed to explain everything that was wrong with me?

"I wish I could tell you," I said softly. "Believe me I do. It's the least I could do since you decided to share what was wrong with you, but I just don't know how."

"You're not okay," he said. "You say you are, but you're not, are you?"

That, Jacob, was a different story for a different night.