Chapter 11: A Royal Fuck Up

"But if you carry on abusing, you'll be robbed from us
I refuse to lose another friend to drugs
Just come home, don't let go."

Song: Leave A Light On ~ Tom Walker

***

11. A Royal Fuck Up

Khalan's POV

Shayley was acting weird.

I wasn't crazy, I wasn't paranoid, I wasn't just worrying, I was right.

Ever since we got here she had used every single opportunity to get away from Jess and I, because she knew if she stuck with us for too long we'd ask all the questions she didn't want to answer.

"She'll come around," I told Jess, who just sighed and rested her head against the wall.

"What if she's doing it again," Jessica asked. "Using."

"Well," I chuckled sourly. "Shayley is only going to let us know what Shayley wants us to know that's for sure."

"I just wish there was more we could do to help her you know," Jessica remarked.

"I know," I said softly.

"At least she's opening up to people," she said. "Sad that it's not her best friends though."

I sat up. "I'll be right back."

"Where are you going?"

I hoisted myself up from the carpet. "To talk to Shawn."

I ran up the stairs and then to the room we shared.

I barged in. "I need to talk to you."

He looked up from his phone and chuckled. "Well hello to you too Michaels."

"How's Shayley?" I immediately asked.

"Uh...fine I assume?" he answered.

I sighed and sat down beside him. "Shawn, I'm serious. I know she talks to you."

He shook his head. "Not as much as I'd like her to. Look, maybe you're wo-"

"We both know my worrying is justified," I interrupted.

He tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. "Princess, whether or not Shayley will talk to you is not up to me."

"You know something," I remarked. "You know what's going on with her, don't you?"

He sighed and got off the bed, pacing slowly in front of me. "If I know anything Princess, it's not my place to tell."

"So you think keeping secrets is better for her?" I challenged, folding my arms across my chest.

"It's complicated," he sighed.

I felt the tears brimming at the bottom of my eyes. "She's my best friend."

"I kno-"

"She's my best friend and I am completely useless when it comes to helping her," I continued firmly.

"I get that Michaels, but I can't tell you anything," he said.

I shook my head, hurt. "You don't know what she's been through, what she's capable of doing to herself once she reaches rock bottom."

"Mic-"

"I found her," I stated. "I found her when she tried to commit suicide Shawn. You don't know what that felt like..."