Chapter Thirty Seven

"Vesper, look at me." Jane says and I shake my head. "I can't, I'm not good enough to look like this or wear this dress." I say keeping my back turned towards her. "Vesper." She puts her hand on my shoulder and turns me to face her. "Vesper, you look very beautiful. But black doesn't agree with your skin. Let's try a different one." Jane says and leaves the bathroom. I continue to try on dress after dress my self esteem dropping each dress. "Jane, we have nearly gone through all of your dresses, I don't think we will find one that suits me." I rub my arm. "No, we will find one. Even if I have to go to every fucking dress store to find it. You will be drop dead beautiful in a dress that complements every inch of you. Maybe I should call in some reinforcements. The other girls could help and I could even call in a favor from Trender." Jane starts to mutter to herself as I watch her from my corner wrapped in a blanket hiding from view.  Suddenly my room is swarmed by the other girls and I am forced in and out of dresses left and right. My room looks like a war zone, dresses having been tossed in piles and my blankets are strewn everywhere.  Nina, Clockwork, Jane,  Nurse Ann, Zero, Laughing Jill, Judge Angel, and Lulu sit on my bedroom floor conversing with each other. "Black makes her look sick, pink doesn't match her, red puts to much color in her face, green isn't good, blue turns her into a puddle, yellow is to bright, orange clashes with her hair, purple makes her look tired, Brown is a no, grey is out. What is left?" Jane muses. "We are left with white and light grey but we don't have dresses in either of those colors. Looks like we are going shopping." Clockwork says. Suddenly a male that looks like Slender but wearing a white shirt, tan vest, black slacks, nice dress shoes and glasses siting on his non existent nose appears. "I heard you girls have a fashion problem. What's up?" He asks. "Trender, when? Never mind. We need dresses in light grey and white or one dress with both colors for Vesper." Nina says. I am yanked out of my corner and Trender scans me over. "Okay, when do you need it?" He asks looking at Jane. "8:00 pm tonight." Jane says. "Okay. I'll have it ready by 5 pm." Trender says and disappears. "See, I told you we would find you a dress." Jane smiles at me. I nod my head slowly and rubs my arm nervously. "What's wrong?" Judge Angel asks. "I have never really worn a dress for fun before." I mutter. "What? Seriously?" Lulu asks. I nod. "Up there everything has to follow the rules, Remain in uniform when out in public, Serve the people with dignity and purpose, lead them diligently, no time for horse play or screwing around. Everything you call fun is band up there. We are forced from the day we are born to know that you don't have time to play or have fun. You only have time for your role and your bonded to reproduce." I sigh.