Chapter Seven

With Orion in front and two guards at the end of the line, we began walking towards our dorm rooms. My hands were still shaking.

I had taken off my mask ages ago, the once comforting feeling of the mask tight against my skin had turned sour, instead leaving angry red marks across my face where the mask had once been.

A rogue attack, an orchestrated rogue attack.

That's what they had said had happened.

The people had been found dead, all sustaining large bites around their necks or on the torso. Most would have thought that those specific bites could have belonged to anyone. But the white foam that was left around the edges was proof enough of who had left the marks.

Rogues had always been a problem, and I had certainly experienced rogue breaches before. There had been one in Silva only a few months ago, around October of last year.  No one had been killed but the attack itself was enough to scare me out of my wits.

Usually, during an attack, or at least during an attack in Silva, those who could fight would fight, and those who couldn't would stay behind in the packhouse, tasked with looking after the young ones and keeping them calm.

Due to my lack of training, that was always me.

But the attacks weren't common, they weren't frequent. Pax usually did a pretty good job of keeping the rogues under control.

That was one of their jobs, maintaining the peace between the Sane and the Crazy.

Rogues were the wolves that had been banished from pack life. This happened for a range of reasons, publicly disrespecting the alpha, murder, treason. But perhaps the scariest way was the one that seemed to even be threatening me.

A low score in the tournament.

Everyone who scored under 20 points became a rogue, and over the last few years, the number of people who had fallen under that category was becoming larger and larger. The reasoning behind it was those who had gotten under 20 would be able to serve no purpose to a pack.

It was something that was on everyone's mind.

Would you become a rogue? would your best friend? A roommate? A family member?

I had no idea how the rogues would have been able to get in, or how they would have made it so far into the territory before someone was alerted. I knew Pax was safe from rogue attacks from the most part, due to the fact that they were the ones talking with the rogues and keeping the peace.

I couldn't see anyone else, the grounds being completely empty, where they still in the hall or had they been bused off to someplace else? I didn't know, but I should. I should be with them, not receiving special treatment.

If this is his idea of courting, then I should probably invest in a bullet proof vest.

"Excuse me sir, do you know who died?" I asked quietly, my voice seeming louder in the quiet around us.

He looked back at me, "Alexander from Sanitatem, Benjamin from Pax, and a girl named Stephanie from Silva."

My head shot up, "Stephanie Randall?"

"Yes, I'm sorry Ma'am, did you know her?"

I looked down at the ground, tears beginning to form on the bottom of my eyes. "Yes, yes I did."

Stephanie didn't deserve that. She had her whole life planned out, a mate who now would never know her. I thought about her family, her father was a single dad, her mother dying in childbirth. He would be devasted.