Chapter Thirty Eight

By the time we had gotten home, it was late afternoon, the sun sending rays of warmth onto my nude back. I had been completely exhausted, and considering how awkward my morning wake up had been, I had no problem in completely collapsing in my bed, falling asleep the moment that my head hit the pillow. 

When I woke up, Orion was still vacant from the room, the curtains opened up to reveal the still pitch black sky. In my haziness, I could hear footsteps and something hitting the wall, along with constant shushing. I groaned, why couldn't he just be quiet. It took not a moment for me to fall back asleep.

The second time I woke up, it was much more reasonable, a clear blue sky and the gentle sun peeking over and sending streams of light over the floor. I pulled myself up, running a hand over my eyes before begrudgingly getting out of bed and towards the door. As I stepped out, I could hear Orion's voice, accompanied with the the sound of sizzling pans and a boiling kettle. 

I paused in my tracks, Orion never cooked, well, he had tried of course. But as I lifted my nose up into the air, I was overcome with the desire to just eat. Not one thing Orion had cooked was even close to edible, either still runny and raw or completely toast.

I hurried up, practically running down the stairs in excitement, the tips of my fingers tingling.

"Orion," I called out, "Is someone in the kitchen?"

I turned around the corner, focusing in on the scene in front of me before standing back, my hand covering my mouth in shock.

My parents.

My father was standing at the stove, while my mother sat at the bench top next to Orion.

My mother let out a squeal, jumping up and running over to me, wrapping her arms around my frame and lifting me off the ground ever so slightly. She stepped back and grabbed my face, holding me in her hands.

"My darling Althea, look at you!" She said happily, pinching me slightly, "So happy!" She turned slightly and whispered, "And what a boy you have too! So charming and polite, I can forgive him for not meeting us earlier!"

She stepped back and took over my fathers place, letting him come forward and sweep me into a hug of his own. "Your mothers right you know, though I would prefer to have been asked for permission before you all went forward with the ceremonies and such. But no matter,"

I giggled, letting go as my father pulled away to bring out four mugs from the cupboard as the kettle quietened. Orion, who was still sitting, send me a grin. I walked around and placed myself behind me, pressing my lips to his cheek before whispering in his ear,

"Thank you for this,"

He ran a finger over my cheekbone with a grin and a gaze of love, "Anything for you."

I squeezed just a little tighter before letting go, joining in with my parents behind the counter, helping them prepare breakfast. It felt so natural, the three of us working around each other as we prepared. My father pouring the drinks, my mother flipping the eggs and bacon with me buttering and toasting the buns while also mixing up a sauce. 

Orion stayed seated in his chair, making idle chatter as he watched us. Every time he offered to help, I assured him that we were fine. With the three of us working together, we were finished cooking within half an hour, letting Orion make up the table.

We sat down, letting the coffee pass my lips.

"So, we'll be having a full family dinner tonight, but how you guys want to spend the rest of the day is up too you." Orion informed, digging in to the breakfast burger on his plate.