Chapter Twenty Three

When I started coming back into proper consciousness, I realised that I was lying on a couch.

I recognised the room, and I was just lying on the couch that sat in the middle of our room, noticing the blur of other bodies sitting around me like some campfire.

I could feel the surmount of pillows underneath my head, the socks on my feet and the blanket covering the bottom half of my body.

A groan erupted from my mouth as I pulled myself up, readjusting myself as I opened my eyes properly, letting the blur around the room fixate and then disappear. 

"You're awake! How are you doing, any pain?" I heard someone ask,

Everything came flashing back, the challenge, the wound, my hands.

I looked down, my hands were covered in a sheer white bandage, wrapped tightly around my palms and fingers.

"Althea, you alright? Any pain?" It was Lia, her body leaning forward with concern in her eyes.

I pulled myself up properly, leaning against the back of the couch with my legs slowly starting to moving off the couch.

I wasn't feeling any pain, nothing at all in my hands or the rest of my body. In fact, I didn't feel anything, I just felt numb. Numb everywhere.

"I'm alright," I whispered dizzily, "I don't feel anything, I just feel numb, there's no feeling at all," I held up my hands, fingers facing outwards as if to prove my point.

I managed to focus in, everyone was here, Ivy with Julian, Lia with Gabe, Val with Colton and Orion leaning his head on his hand with his eyes focused on me.

"What's everyone doing here?" I asked, my head turned to look at the clock. It would be around midnight, but I definitely knew that y this time, half the people in this room would already be asleep.

Surprisingly, it was Gabe who spoke up.

"The girls said that the nurse said you shouldn't be asleep for any more than a couple of hours so we just figured that it would be easier to wait until you woke up," He shrugged, saying it casually.

My lips formed an 'o', "Well, thanks. You guys didn't have to do that,"

"Hey, don't thank us, we got hungry and emptied the fridge," Colton admitted shamelessly. "When I say there isn't anything in there, I mean that there is nothing in there,"

I sighed, smiling slightly and shoved my exposed fingernail underneath the flap of the bandage in an attempt to pull it off, "I suppose there isn't any harm in making more,"

Colton raised a hand to his heart, "I was hoping that you would say that,"

Ivy rolled her eyes, "Anyway, the nurse said you should be able to take off the bandages since you should be practically completely healed by now," Her glance slid across the room, "She said you might need a little help with it-"

My cheeks went red, "Nope! I should be fine to get it off by myself,"

"You know, Orion has a little bit of medical training, I'm sure he could get it off properly!" Val jumped in, "Orion, can you help Thee with her bandages? Just so she doesn't make it worse or gets stuck,"

Orion leaned back with a faint smirk resting on his lips, "No problem, don't worry, It will only take a few minutes,"

I sent Val a glare, while she sent back a teasing twinkle in her eye. She sent a sliding glance to Colton, nudging his side with her elbow.

Ivy yawned, "Well, since we know for sure everything is alright, I'm going to head to sleep."

The rest followed, either heading out into the hallway or through the doorways to their respective bedrooms.