Chapter Forty Five

Part of me knew that it was coming, but perhaps I had hoped for a little more time.

A flash of panic ran over Orion's face for just a moment before it hardened. He stood up straight, pushed his shoulders back, and started to speak,

"Althea and Ivy will be staying here. Althea, I need you to wake Gracie up, get information, and then give it to me immediately. Don't waste too much time, get it done quickly."

While I wasn't going to disagree, I knew there was no point in telling him no.

"Everyone else, you know what to do. I expected something like this would happen and the pack should be prepared. All that's left is us. We know how this could end, and I can almost guarantee that Kage won't want to waste too much time talking. And if that's what's going to finally bring this to an end, then neither do I. I'm going to the border, get any weapons you might need and then meet me there." Orion ordered, his voice was commanding, swaying us to exactly where we needed to be. Power oozed out of every word he spoke. 

I brought Orion close, pressing my lips against his. It wasn't the end, and it certainly didn't feel like the end, so why was I so worried? Maybe I had become too accustomed to the idea of losing everyone close to me, Losing Orion. 

"I know you won't, but if you can, stay out of danger, go to the bunkers or somewhere. I don't know how this is going to end out, but I know that I don't want you part of it." He whispered, his fingers laced in my hair.

I leaned my head onto his shoulder, "I think you know my answer,"

He let out a groan, "Yeah, I do. Just- just stay safe."

Orion pressed a kiss to my head lightly before pulling away, walking out of the room. I let out a breath, taking a moment to clear my head before getting to work.

"Alright, let's get her awake," I said, rubbing my hands together as I took my place at the side of the couch. Ivy placed herself down next to me.

"What are we doing?" Ivy started, "Just tell me what you need to do."

I looked over Gracie, taking in her figure and trying to figure out what I needed to do. I made a silent thanks to the goddess for making me want to be a doctor because all that training and reading was certainly going to make this a whole hell of a lot easier. Her clothes had been changed, her own being ripped and ruined on the way back to Vindex. Instead, she was wearing a pair of my own shorts and a plain shirt, her hair in a ponytail identical to mine.

"Go and grab some ammonia from the from the bathroom," I said, completely distracted. "It's in the cupboard under the sink."

Ivy nodded and ran off. I pulled all of Gracie's hair away from her face and tucked it under her head so it was off her shoulders. When someone is knocked out, it would be so much easier to just let her wake up by herself. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option. There wasn't too much I could do, but I was hoping that since she was so close to waking up, I would only need a little bit and that would do the trick.

I grabbed a cushion and shoved it underneath her back, propping up Gracie's body as Ivy came running into the room, the bottle of ammonia in tow.

Ivy passed me the bottle and I took the top off, pouring just the smallest amount into the lid. I placed the bottle back on the floor and grabbed her chin, tilting her head slightly. I steadied my hand before slowly pouring a few drops into Gracie's ear. I knew I couldn't pour into too much, I didn't want to risk ammonia poisoning, and I certainly didn't want to risk making her deaf in one ear.

I pulled it back, moving her head once again and holding my breath. 

Gracie's eyes fluttered open, gasping for air as she grasped the cushions of the couch.