Chapter Twenty One

I was exhausted.

Our first day back to classes had been today, and even after the two-week break, I still felt drained.

Only yesterday we had received our new schedules, all eight of us had opened up our new schedules together, and while I tried not too, the moment I did I burst into tears.

I had changed classes again.

I knew that I hadn't been moved to undecided, they would brought me in person to tell me that but it just felt that like I was failing, falling and failing.

I had pulled myself together quickly enough, wiping my eyes and cursing silently to myself. The others knew it was a sensitive subject best left untouched, so other than a 'You probably just moved up Thee, stop being dramatic' from Valeria, the focus quickly slipped into something else.

Something I appreciated.

I had back to back classes, running too and from inside the building in a desperate rush to make it to my classes on time. Most of my basis class had been the same, but my main med class had been changed. As I walked into the classroom, I immediately headed to the back of the class, taking my seat in a very different setting. The teacher standing at the front of the classroom had harsh lines digging into her face and sunspots covering her skin. Her grey hair cut into a tight pixie showing off her piercing, murky green eyes. She was sitting at her desk, the pencil running quickly across, the sound blaring into my ears as slowly, other students began to file in.

When the bell rang, signalling the beginning of the lesson, there was only six students in the room.

Including me.

The teacher's head snapped upwards, slowly standing and running her eyes over us.

"We have a new student," She started sharply, locking her eyes with me, "I'm Dr Manda Stole, one of the senior medical executives at Sanitatem. I have said this before, but if you have the intention of coming to Sanitatem to pursue your medical career, you will be going through me."

Her words sent daggers of anxiousness down my spine. I gulped, trying to make sure that not a single emotion left my face.

"Now, this is your final term, your final three months of the tournament. Being a medical decided is a course where if you don't score high, you have no career. You are handling someone's life, and you will not make it if you do not score sufficiently. It's as simple as that. You will have a series of exams, both practical and on paper. The stakes have been risen extremely high, especially now as we are coming down to the ending. Do not, be the weak link in my classroom, under no circumstances." The room went silent as her spine straightened. "Please open your textbook to-"

I pulled my textbook out of my bag, opening it up and resting my pen lightly in my hand.

It was finally beginning to settle in, three more months and that was it, I would have my score and qualifications and that would be it.

I would be becoming the Luna of the Vindex Pack,

And only Orion and I knew.

I was beginning to accept it. Accepting the idea of my changing future, my changing fate. My life with Orion in Vindex, not alone in Sanitatem. The thought alone sent butterflies through my stomach and tingles through my fingers, giving a numbing sensation through my body. 

As the lesson progressed, I felt so absorbed in what I was learning. There was just something about loving what you were doing, and I felt it right now. 

It wasn't my future, but it was clearly one of those days that I unbelievably wished that it was.

Dr Stole was strict and unreasonably harsh. Seated at her desk as she talked, going over the content while throwing in small jabs at the students who she was clearly already well acquainted with. I stayed silent, keeping my mouth shut and diligently writing down my notes.