XXXIII - 𝔬𝔭𝔭𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔲𝔫𝔦𝔱𝔶 𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔦𝔨𝔢𝔰

"CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF," LILIRA GASPED UPON BREACHING THE SURFACE, "I'M NOT THAT GOOD OF A SWIMMER

"CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF," LILIRA GASPED UPON BREACHING THE SURFACE, "I'M NOT THAT GOOD OF A SWIMMER."

She trod water for a few moments, flashing Sirius a lax smile. They had been on the search for it for two hours, yet to no avail. Sirius was stuck on land and his owner was limited to her depreciating lung capacity. She blamed the particular instance on her lengthy departure from the water. It always took her a few (well, more than a few) moments to regain her momentum.

Just a little more time.

But alas, the full moon which peeped from the clouds was an ardent reminder that they didn't have time. Sirius stuck his tongue out and pawed the ground.

"I know! I'm trying, yeah? Just...hold on for a second," Lilura rolled onto her back, suddenly silent.

The stars looked pretty tonight, she admired silently. She didn't have much time to look at the stars or the sky anymore, which was a complete shame really. The night sky was a wonder on its own without the sentimental value she had attached to it. 

Klaus and Lilura met under the same magical sky.  She remembered it like it was yesterday. Most prominently, Lilura recalled the cool breeze and charming Niklaus Mikaelson who would forfeit a star-gazing opportunity if it meant he could stare at Lilura to the end of time. 

Woof!

Lilura grounded herself before looking at her dog, "I'm on it!"

She dove back into the water and this time Lilura didn't let the sinking feeling in her stomach stop her from searching the murky waters of the waterfall.

The water can't hurt you. A little voice in her subconsciousness assured. The water never has.

She stretched her fingers out under the moonlight. They were stark white and webby, two things seldom associated with Lilura Anthemoessa. She cocked her head to the side as she examined her body. 

Already, the effects of the water on her skin were prevalent. Her pasty white complexion had slowly returned to its tan pigmentation. She felt the fangs at the corner of her mouth almost shorten. With partially contained excitement, Lilura pulled a string of her hair and rejoiced at its healthy shine. She was returning! Her mind felt more clear than it had in the past four days. At the sound of heavy beating in the water, Lilura examined her toes which became webbed just like her fingers. 

Lilura swam a little further and felt her way around the rocks underneath the waterfall, using the new energy that coursed through her to full advantage.