Chapter 58: Xina's Downfall

*short chapter*

Xina's Downfall

It was a gloomy, rainy day in New Domino City and Satellite. The two joined cities still lit up brightly through the rain as people were driving carefully on the wet highways.

Xina sat at the window cill of her old room in Martha place. She watches as the rain touches the glass. She was wearing a dark blue hoodie and sweatpants, and that has been her attire for two days now. Ezor's wooden staff rested against the wall on the opposite side of the room.

Since the incident with Yōkai, Xina has fallen into dark hole filled with traumatizing memories; main one being Ezor's sacrifice. Xina cried nonstop for the first day, but now she is numb. All she can do now is stare out her window and think of what would have happened if she did something that would have saved Ezor's life. The image kept replaying in her mind along with his voice.

And since the incident, she stayed at Martha's place. Xina wasn't quite sure herself why she stayed, but she felt safer with Martha.

A light knock on her door interrupted her thoughts but she didn't bother to look back. She hears the door opening and hears the shuffling of feet.

"Dinner is ready, Xina," Martha's voice spoke. Martha held the plate of food in her hands as she said, "I brought it here since I know you still want to be alone." She goes to place the plate down on Xina's old desk before noticing Xina's didn't touch her lunch. Martha sighs as she replaces the lunch plate for the dinner plate.

"Thanks," Xina managed to utter out as her gaze was still focused on the rainy weather outside.

Martha knew it was useless to say anything else, but she started to speak anyways, "I know you don't want to hear my voice or even want to look at me right now, but I want you to know that you were the best thing that has ever happened to me. I always considered you as my own, and I always will. I am sorry for-"

Martha's words were then interrupted by Xina engulfing her into a tight embrace. Martha was shocked by this since she did not expect it, until she heard Xina's soft cries. Xina's body trembled as she held onto Martha tightly, burying her face in her shoulder. Martha could feel Xina's warm tears soak the shoulder of her gown, but that didn't matter to her.

Xina cried out, "S-Stop apologizing... Please... I-I don't care about that..."

Martha rubs her hands on Xina's back, trying to help mellow her sobs, comforting her. Martha tells her, "Xina, I must apologize. It is my fault that you're unhappy now. I thought that if I told you the truth of where you came from, you would run away and never return. I was selfish, but I always wanted you to be happy and I wanted you to live your life to the fullest with your friends."

Xina continued to cry, and before Martha could go on, Xina muttered out, "S-Stop blaming yourself... Please..."

Martha sighed, "Okay, I will stop."

Xina's stream of tears continued as she says, "D-Don't leave me too..."

Martha felt her eyes sting as tears began to form in her eyes. She mumbles, "Oh, Xina."

-
Time Skip
-

It was 2:30 am, and Xina was still awake. She sat on her bed, staring at nothing particular. The room was dark as the light of the lightning will flash through the window every now and then. Xina couldn't sleep as she listened to the pouring rain hitting her window and the soft thunder.

Akiza, the twins, and Dove were at Xina's place, and they have been there since the incident a couple days ago. Bruno would visit them there since he has been alone at Yusei's place. Crow, Jack, and Yusei have been staying at Martha's, along with Xina, for these past couple days. The boys didn't want to leave, knowing that Xina was still upset about what happened, but they haven't pushed her at all. They knew she wanted to be alone, and they respected her wishes. Martha would tell the boys to go home with the others, but they refused, which isn't surprising to Martha. The boys knew that eventually she will come out of that room, and once she does, they'll be the first ones there for her to comfort her.