•*Chapter 8*•

I R I S

I woke up with a throbbing sensation at the back of my head. I felt like I was run over then reversed over. A little extra, I know. But I felt like shit.

I opened my eyes, instantly closing them due to the bright light intruding my still sensitive from sleep sight. I quickly realize from the plain white walls and the prominent smell of disinfectant that I am in the hospital. Then everything that happened earlier comes rushing back to me like tidal waves.

I was THIS CLOSE!

My brothers must have heard the crash and took me to the hospital. I bet I have whole lot of explaining to do when they come. Hopefully it would be later rather than sooner. But as usual luck isn't on my side.

The door slowly opens, revealing a young nurse, Alejandro and Luca.

"Hello Ms. Garcia. I'm Lauren, your assigned nurse. I hope you remember how you got here. You had quite a fall resulting in the opening of your head. I'm here to check your stitches and vitals." The nurse explained. Why would she call me Ms. Garcia? And stitches? I never felt a thing!

"Nice to meet you Nurse Lauren and please, it's just Iris." I said, shying away.

"Well ok then Iris. You can just call me Lauren then. I shouldn't take long." She replies with a smile, which was contagious because I immediately smiled back. Alejandro and Luca stayed quiet, Luca looking at me with concern and Alejandro kept his usual void of emotion face. Lauren did a few response tests, she explained that she was checking for any head trauma. I had to do the usual. Follow the light with my eyes, she checked my pulse and did a few reflex tests. When she was done she said I was clear and that she would get my release files and then left me alone to deal with my still quiet brothers.

To avoid questioning, I rolled on my side to make it look like I was going to sleep. But Alejandro was not having it.

"Don't even think about it." He said which successfully made me roll back over. I hated the effect that he had on me. I still can't believe I got caught. When I was living with mom I used to sneak out and in easily! But nothing gets past my bitch brothers.

"Do you understand what you've done, Iris? Not only did you lie, but you put your life in risk while doing it. That was completely irrational behavior and I expect much better from you. I don't care how embarrassing you think your menstrual cycle is, but if you need anything that you cannot access without permission, you find one of your brothers to help you. Am I clear? He finished. The whole time he wore a blank face. No emotion could be detected in his voice either.

"Iris. Am. I. Clear?" He repeated.

"No. You're not. The human body was built opaquely. If you were clear I would be seeing straight through you. And I guess that the big G up above thought that would be too gross and I agree with him. So no, Mr. Garcia you are not clear." I retaliated.

I shouldn't have done it. Now I'm dead. How does it feel Iris? You know, to have killed yourself?

Luca looked at me disapprovingly then shook his head and looked away. My heart shattered at the action. It's like he gave up on me.

He gave up on me.

Suddenly I shot up. "I'm sorry I shouldn't have said that. Yes I know what I did was wrong and yes I know that I worried you and put my life in risk. But  I grew up having to keep stuff like this to myself so I snuck out on instinct. I'm sorry guys."

Both heads snapped up to me once they heard me. A big smile broke out on Luca's face and my heart mended instantly. I saw a glint of pride flash through Alejandro's eyes but it was gone as quick  as it came so maybe I could be seeing things.