•*Chapter 16*•

I R I S

"Ummmm, Adam? Oh he's a friend of mine." I said nervously. Mateo scoffed and shook his head.

"Boys his age don't want friendship Iris. And besides, Alejandro said no boy friends." He said with a smirk. Fuck you.

"Well he's not even a friend. I literally saw him for the second time." I tried to reason. "I don't make friends that easily." Emilio still looked unconvinced and was practically fuming. I've never seen him angry but he was scary as hell. Mateo chuckled humorlessly and came out of the car, leaving Emilio and I in an uncomfortable silence.

"Why the fuck don't you listen Iris?" he said all of a sudden, without looking back at me. I stared at the back of his head in bewilderment, this isn't the Emilio I've come to love. "You curse even though we tell you not to, you've snuck out even though you knew it was wrong, and now your friends with this Adam person even though you know the rules. Do we need to write it down?" I felt angered, as it is the first time he is speaking to me like this. Stuff like this are triggers for me because my mom would talk to me like this and he is really setting me off.

But I held back my sarcastic comment. I held back my snarky remark. For the first time ever, I Iris Garcia, bit my tongue. But I doubt it's going to last any longer as he began talking again.

"I've been so calm with you. Maybe I need to start scaring you like Mateo does in order for you to listen, am I right? I've been busy thinking about whether or not you like me but this is what you go ahead and do." he said, shaking his head. I don't like this side of Emmy. I don't. But as said, my tongue couldn't take the confinement much longer

"You're overreacting! It was a hug! With a boy! You're making it sound like I did anything wrong!" I shouted, resulting in Emilio whipping his head around showing his immaculate eyes that have darkened about two shades.

Whoops.

"While the idea of you having a boyfriend angers me to a high extent, that's not what this is about with me. Maybe it is what bothered Mateo. It is the fact that the rules are put in place for a reason. Not for you to feel like we hate you or that there's some biased behavior, but because we want to keep you safe, Iris. We do this for your fucking safety!" he said. And then came my dumbass.

"That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard." I said without thinking, then watched as Emilio grew even angrier and threw his door open. He slammed it shut then opened my door and grabbed my by the wrist, hauling me inside the house. But not hard enough to hurt me. We entered the living room and saw all my brothers seated. I rolled my eyes knowing what was coming next. Alejandro then got up and stalked over to me before raising his hand. As usual, I flinched and shut my eyes tightly. You would think it got better but anytime someone raises their hand or shouts at me, I flinch. I open my eyes to see him fixing his button up sleeve. I see his eyes soften momentarily, before they return to their cold, ominous stare.

"Iris, you will come directly to my office tomorrow morning as I was just called in for an important task at the office. I hope you understand that a rule was broken and for this you will be punished accordingly." he said raising an eyebrow. I refrained from rolling my eyes but let out an unconvincing sure.

Luca didn't come over to me and try to kiss my forehead like he usually would before leaving, Lorenzo didn't give me an incredibly wide, toothy grin, which I would return with a small smile, and instead just got up and left, then Mateo just walked out as per usual, leaving Emilio and I once again.

Before he could say anything I turned to him at an incredible speed.

"You really had to rat me out?" I screamed. "It was a hug, with a friend!" Emilio just looked at me as if I was dog poop that he accidentally stepped in.