Chapter 2

Charlotte

'Ah. What a wonderful day it was. Today was the best birthday I've ever had. My mom, dad, brother, and sister invited over a few family members as well as my closest friends. The party is long finished, and it must be close to midnight now, but its clean-up time now.'

I'm wearing the necklace I got that has a dove charm on it, I got it because my mom says I'm as pure and beautiful as a white dove. The crop top I am wearing comes from Eleanor (Ellie), my younger sister (15), she bought it for me then personally bedazzled it with crystals. Joshua, my older brother (23) treated me to a day at my favorite art museum. And dad, ah dad didn't know what to get me so he just made and paid for all the party arrangements.

I'm now bending and picking up the plastic cups that were disregarded from the party. Ellie is sweeping the confetti and rubbish together, Josh just placed moms crystal vases back on the dining table. When he was finished he came and offered to take the bag. I passed the bag to him and started straightening the cushions on the couch. Mom and dad are cleaning the kitchen space and called Joshua over to take out the bag that was filled with scraps and yesterdays rubbish.

"Take them out please Josh, before we have a mountain of trash" we all laugh, Joshua takes the bag, letting out an exaggerated sigh and heads out the back door to go throw them in the garbage can at the end of the driveway.

I kicked off my heels and left them by the base of the staircase once the guests had left. After I fix the couches, I begin to pull the curtains closed over our massive windows. I catch a shadows movement out the corner of my eye but it's just Joshua by the garbage and a lost passer-by.

I pull the curtain closed and head for the window closest to the staircase, I fall over my heels. I land on my hands and knees. Ellie starts laughing and bends over trying to catch her breath. I mutter curses under my breath and her laughing eases, I snatch the pair of heels and stomp my way upstairs.

On my 18th birthday I will go and fall over my own damn shoes. I reach my room, throw the heels on the floor just as I hear the doorbell ring, I peek my head out my room and yell "who is it? Did someone forget something?" But theres silence. I go to the stairs and look down at the front door as Ellie looks out the peek hole.

"I don't know, seems like someone who is lost" I get a bad feeling as she reaches for the door handle. I am about to say don't open but it's too late. She pulls the door open and says very cheery for this time of the night "hi, can I help you?"

I make my way halfway down the stairs and its then I hear a very deep and manly voice, if that makes sense "hi um... yes I think you can..." that's when he slams the door open completely and steps inside. I'm frozen in the spot, hes dressed in complete black, but his light brown hair and icy blue eyes make for a big contrast. He pulls out a knife and grabs Ellie by the hair, holding the knife to her throat. Just then the back-door bursts open and another guy forces his way inside, I hear scuffling in the kitchen, probably with dad and hear my moms pleading until there was a dull thud.

He catches sight of me and my heart stops, I know him but I cant place him, his eyes go a shade darker with an emotion. Lust? Evil? I dont know. He smirks and gestures for me to come down the stairs "there she is..." he says with such satisfaction. Me? What does he mean? I hesitantly take my next few steps.

I slink myself down the last few steps and get closer to him. He practically moans as I come within a few feet of him. I feel my skin crawl seeing the way he stares at me like I'm a piece of meat. "You are even more beautiful up close" he whispers to me.

"What do you want?" I spit out as I see Ellie squirming and tears running down her face.

"Simple darling, I want you." I am dumbfounded by this. He pushes Ellie on the ground and she cries out when he places his knee in between her shoulders "no no no shhhhh" I make a move to try and tackle him off of her, but he raises the knife towards me "I wouldn't if I were you, stay put my love."