Chapter 29

Molly

The day has arrived where I try to protect my family and the two guys who have become a part of the family. We've been traveling for hours now already, we did not think about how far away we are from my hometown.

My lips are chapped, we finished our last bit of water about an hour ago, the chilling wind has not helped it either. The twins are wrapped tightly in warm blankets, I'm holding baby Shane and David is holding Selina.

David and I are on the horse, meanwhile Jeff and Shane are walking beside us. But because David hit his head so hard and he was unconscious for over a week, he is behind me on the horse. Juggling a baby and riding a horse is definitely not easy but we need to get there.

The sun is high up in the sky now, and we left before it had even risen. We've had to take breaks for me to feed the twins and for Jeff and Shane to rest their feet for a bit.

Finally we reach the outskirts of town, I look at Jeff and Shane, they look horrific but then again I don't think me nor David look any better.

Our hair has been whipped so much, it is knotted everywhere and sticking up in many, many directions.

We make our way through the beginning of town, it's only when we get deeper into town that people start whispering and pointing at us.

Shane and Jeff are uneasy, then it hits me. "Have you guys ever been in a town?" I ask them and their faces says it all.

"No... I was born and raised on a farm like David's..." Shane explains but he quickly clarifies. "I mean an isolated and self sufficient farm." I nod my head not missing the emphasis that he wasn't raised like David was, in regard to kidnapping and murdering people.

"I was born at the cabin." Jeff says and I don't ask him to elaborate.

We walk further into town and I tell the men which way to go to find the police station.

"Charlotte?!" Someone calls out but I don't react, not because I'm trying to be rude but because I'm not called that any more. "Charlotte! Is that you?!" Jeff and Shane crane their necks to the sound of the voice.

I sigh and look to the voice. My breath catches. "Sue?" I ask not believing my eyes. David tenses behind me.

She runs to me. David, Jeff and Shane, being the protective men they are, David grips my waist and the other two run around to the side where she is running towards. They hold their hands up, ready for a fight.

Seeing the men, she stops dead in her tracks. I tap David's arm. "She's my cousin." He relaxes his hold on me. "Jeff take baby Shane." I pass Jeff the baby in my arms. I reach to Shane. "Help me down." He helps me down from the horse, when my feet hit the ground I walk towards her with arms outstretched. "Sue!" I can't run because my legs are weak from the long ride here.

She breaks out into a run and hugs me tightly, I tap her back letting her know that she can let go after a while, but she doesn't. I don't know why but a panic builds within me. "Let go Sue!" I scream and push her away.

She looks so hurt. "Sorry... I've... I've been through a lot..." I say quietly. "Can you give us a lift to the police station please?" She looks at the men behind me very suspiciously. "They helped me escape..."