Chapter 16

Warning: Violence and blood in this chapter.
The story will continue past 20 chapters. I'm just not sure how far past 20.
Anyways enjoy.

David

I walk through the lines of crops and stop by the carrots, the stalks are nice and long. I pull one specific one that has a very bright green stalk, I pull it out and see that the carrot is a nice shade of orange. "Hey Tom!" I call out, because his new duty is to harvest the crops that are ready and wash them nicely.

I stand and hold my hand up to shadow my eyes, I look to the left then slowly scan the fields for him, but he isn't in sight I turn around and look but I still don't see him. I look to the barn but he is nowhere in sight.

I walk over to the barn and peep inside. Instead of seeing Tom I see Ben getting some hay for the animals to sleep on. "Ben?" I call out. He turns his head and when he sees me, he drops the bale of hay and walks towards me.

"Yeah David?" He dusts his hands by smacking them against each other.

"Have you seen Tom?" He raises his eyebrow at the question and then just shrugs.

"Nah... I haven't... why?" He leans against the door frame of the barn and looks at me suspiciously.

"The carrots are ready and I'm looking for him to harvest them and wash them." He shakes his head.

"Sorry, I haven't seen him. Maybe father gave him the day off? I don't know." I sigh. "Guess that you will have to do it yourself, little bro." He smirks while I glare at him.

"Fine." I mumble and turn.

I walk away and go find a basket. I grumble and walk back to the carrots. "Fucking Tom... now I have to do your dirty work..." I pull out a few that have the greenest and longest stalks, I put them in the basket and head to the tomatoes. I pick the red ones as well and that's when I see father herding the livestock for the evening.

I jog to him and stop when I'm a few steps away. I stroll up next to him and he turns his head to me. "Yes?" He says with annoyance, I've disturbed his herding and now the livestock have gone different directions.

"Sorry father... I was wondering if you perhaps know where Tom is..." he narrows his eyes so I explain and hold the basket up "he is supposed to harvest and clean the things that are ready to be harvested..." he grunts as he takes off his hat.

"Son... I don't know where he is and I don't care, and quite frankly the only thing I care about right now is getting these damn animals into the pen..." I see the scowl on his face and decide not to press him.

"Yes father. Sorry father..." I say and make a quick getaway from him. My mind runs a thousand theories through my mind.

The sun is setting and I make my way towards the basin where we wash the fresh produce.

I scrub them clean and place them in a clean basket. Once everything is done its dusk and I see father has put the livestock in the pen, I sigh and head to the chicken coop.

The chickens cluck and walk around as they hear me scratching in their feed and grabbing a scoop of it. I open up the door and duck inside, I scatter it on the ground and they all scramble to get their ration of food, I glance at their water and see it's not terribly dirty. "Greedy bastards..." I mutter as I get out and secure the latch.