Chapter 25

This book is slowly coming to it's end. So I thought I'd squeeze in an extra chapter this week.
Stay safe and Enjoy
:)

David

I swallow hard. "Where's Molly? Why isn't she with you?" Father's voice squashes my thoughts for the moment.

"Um..." I look to Mother and she must know that something has happened and there is one reason why she isn't with me. That something being a baby girl. "Her labor was long... she struggled to push the baby out... and she lost quite a lot of blood."

He squints at me. "I'm going back to her tonight though. I can't leave her. Not now. But I will bring her home tomorrow with our baby." I say and hope he will believe me.

"What is the boy's name?" He asks and I feel the sweat drip down my back. I can't reveal his real name because it will anger Father.

"Seth." I blurt out and now have to try to remember that I said Seth. He nods his head. "I need to get some clean clothes for Molly. And a blanket for... Seth." I kick myself for pausing.

"Okay. But I need to meet my grandson tomorrow..." he says to me and I nod my head.

"Yes Father." I say and begin to walk upstairs. I hear footsteps behind me and my heart thumps harder. I glance over my shoulder but relax instantly when I see it's Mother. She gives me a nervous smile.

"How was the labor?" She asks as she follows me into my room.

"It was a long labor... she started bleeding at the market, someone who must be in the line of caring for pregnant women took us in." She nods her head but I see her eyes searching for more.

I walk and close my door softly. I turn back to her and try to roll out the stiffness in my shoulders but it doesn't work. "David. Tell me the truth..." she says softly to me.

I nod my head to the bathroom and she catches the hint. She walks in and I follow her and push the door until it's almost closed.

I look at her and rub my face. "Twins mum. Twins." Her eyes go wide and her mouth opens but she has nothing to say to me. "Boy and girl." I say and I see her face pale. "After tonight, I'm not coming back." Her eyes fill with tears and I look away. "Shane and Selina." I tell her and she is confused at first but then puts two and two together.

"Oh David." She throws her arms around me and I hug her back. "I love you my boy. Always and forever. But I understand why you are doing what you are doing." She whispers in my ear and my heart breaks at the thought of not seeing her again.

I pull away and go back into the room. I open the door leading out my room to not draw suspicion. I hug her again. "Shane is helping." I say softly in her hair and she nods her head unable to speak.

I clear my throat and clear my mind. I need to get all the things we need and leave before Ben finds Shane.

I open the cupboard and grab a bag. I know I can't take everything so I throw in all her underwear, a pair of socks and two dresses. For me I throw a pair of socks, 2 boxers, a shirt and coat as well as another jean. I take the blanket that Mother Crocheted for our baby.

When I sling the bag on my shoulders I see Mother has left the room. I make my way downstairs and I hear Mother speaking to Father.

"Norman, you need to remember giving birth is difficult... and I asked David what happened." I stop dead in my tracks. "She started bleeding before she went into labor. She's young and her body has had a lot of trauma, that's why she isn't with him." Relief washes over me and I walk the rest of the way down.

Reaching the living room Father's eyes snap to me. "What is in that bag David?" He stands and I feel myself start to panic.

"Clothes Father." I don't stutter which makes my reason sound more plausible. He walks up to me and takes the bag off.

He searches through the bag and he cocks an eyebrow. "So much underwear? Why?"

"Um Father... she is bleeding heavily and I thought if we layer them it will help stop the blood from seeping through." He nods his head and puts everything back except the blanket.

"This blanket isn't very warm for travelling back. Why did you take it?" My pulse spikes again and I try to think fast.

"Uh... is it not warm enough to travel back here Father?" I try to act dumb.

He shakes his head. "Not for a newborn baby..." he stands up. "Wait here." He disappears upstairs and I take a deep breath. Mother's face is pained and I see the fear in her eyes.

Annie sits silently watching me with furrowed brows. Joseph sitting on her lap as she bounces him. I clear my throat again. "Did you bleed a lot Annie?" I try to just get her stare off of me.

She shakes her head. "Why? Is Molly bleeding heavily?" She asks and I see her eyes change by the mere mention of Molly's name. It's as if her name is a curse word.

"Yeah... when I left she had soaked through a towel already... she was fast asleep when I left." She nods her head slowly.

"Where is she? Who helped you?" My palms feel sweaty but I refrain from rubbing them on my jean.

"Um I believe his name is-"

"This is much better for the travel." Father says and I'm relieved that he came back. Annie glares at me and I know she is suspicious. "This will keep the little man warm on his way home." He holds out a very thick and fluffy blanket.

I push it into my bag and stand. I give him a smile. "Thank you Father. I think I should go back now and see how she is. I will see you tomorrow." I bit my tongue and walk to the door.

"David." I turn and see Father is right behind me.

"Yes Father?" I reply softly.

"Where are you staying for the night?" I tremble and think of a name, any name except Jeff and Shane.

"Um... I believe his name is Vernon." I say and I see his face scrunch to scrutinise me.

"I don't know of anyone named Vernon."

"He's new to the market, has a cabin somewhere near the marketplace..." I babble and see the scepticism in his eyes. I need to convince him. "I think he said he moved here to get away from his family... they don't approve of his ways..." his frown deepens. "He does what we do Father. He wanted to choose his own lady but they refused him. So he left and built a cabin."

I see him relax. Atleast that persuaded him, I knew if I said that he would understand. "Okay son. Safe travels. See you tomorrow." I give him a smile and walk out the house.

"See you tomorrow Father." I say and climb on the horse. I feel my muscles relax slightly.

I kick the horse a gentle kick and set off in the direction of where I left Shane.

After a while I turn and see the house is now slowly becoming a distant glow in the darkness.

I begin to look through the trees trying to spot Shane. But I don't see him. I make the horse stop and I get off.

The hairs on the back of my neck rise. "Shane?" I call out in the darkness. I take a few tentative steps towards a shuffling sound.

I round the big tree and find myself face to face with what I dreaded to see. Ben is ontop of Shane. Shane is struggling to fight off Ben's attack but he is weak and he is losing badly.

I am frozen to the spot. Shane turns his head trying to miss the punch Ben is about to throw. His eyes widen when he sees me. "David!" He cries out with a broken voice.

Ben's hand stops mid-way. He snaps his head to me and I see the anger and hate in his eyes. "You're with him?!" He jumps off of Shane and turns his focus to me.

"You fucking traitor!" He screams and breaks out into a run towards me.

I don't move. I'm frozen with fear. He charges towards me and I see the anger written all over his face. I know this is going to hurt.